Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by ohioriverrailway

Any chance of pictures, or even movies from you folks in that neighborhood??
  by jb9152

Just got some pics forwarded to me from one of the guys involved in the testing. I don't know how to upload them to the site, though. Anyone want to give me some instructions, and I'll get them on here?

Thanks!
  by jb9152

Let's see if this works...
NICTD_NEW_CAR_TESTING1.jpg
NICTD_NEW_CAR_TESTING2.jpg
NICTD_NEW_CAR_TESTING3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by jb9152

OK, that worked. Here are the last two.
NICTD_NEW_CAR_TESTING4.jpg
NICTD_NEW_CAR_TESTING5.jpg
Lake effect snow, 7 degrees, wind chills below zero...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by F40CFan

NICE PHOTOS, thanks. I am disappointed in the lack of orange and maroon. At least they put the South Shore logo under the cab. Its weird though, I grew up with the orange cars, this is alien stuff.
  by Fan Railer

those are beautiful, the people at NJT should think about buying some (obviously modified for NJT operation)
  by superbad

DOes NICTD have any plans on showing these off downtown on a weekend anytime soon?
  by jb9152

superbad wrote:DOes NICTD have any plans on showing these off downtown on a weekend anytime soon?
Not sure. I'll have to ask my "contacts". :-)
  by Tadman

Thanks for some great pics.
  by doepack

Just curious: What was the funding mechanism used to buy these cars? Was it a state subsidy or a federal grant?
  by jb9152

doepack wrote:Just curious: What was the funding mechanism used to buy these cars? Was it a state subsidy or a federal grant?
It was all state subsidy, as far as I know. NICTD financed much of the cost itself; the Northwest Indiana Regional Development Authority contributed some, as well as the Regional Planning Commission.
  by jb9152

Tadman wrote:Thanks for some great pics.
Thanks! I can't take credit - they were shot by someone who was actually out with the test train, and given to me by someone *else* who was out with the test train. :-D But I'm happy to provide them.
  by ohioriverrailway

Give an attaboy to all concerned. Those are good looking cars. I realize the lack of paint probably offends some folks, but the stainless is a lot easier and less expensive to maintain.
  by F40CFan

ohioriverrailway wrote:Give an attaboy to all concerned. Those are good looking cars. I realize the lack of paint probably offends some folks, but the stainless is a lot easier and less expensive to maintain.
You are quite right, they will be easier to maintain. Its just that the South Shore has always been orange and maroon. Too bad they didn't put some orange on the maroon rectangles over the ditch lights. Oh well, no harm done.

After all my years riding diesel hauled gallery cars, its kind of weird seeing self-propelled gallery cars with cabs on both ends on the IC and SS.
  by doepack

jb9152 wrote:
doepack wrote:Just curious: What was the funding mechanism used to buy these cars? Was it a state subsidy or a federal grant?
It was all state subsidy, as far as I know. NICTD financed much of the cost itself; the Northwest Indiana Regional Development Authority contributed some, as well as the Regional Planning Commission.
Wow, cooperation from three separate agencies to get this done, very impressive. If they can ever overcome the corruption and the posturing, maybe Illinois politicians can grow up one day and take some lessons here. Uh huh. Right. Sure they will... (rolling my eyes)

Thanks JB... :-D