• New cabinet at N end of Silver Spring

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Sand Box John

OK. We now know what the purpose of the cabinet is. What I find odd, is that it is on the platform. WMATA typically places the evacuation cart cabinets on the ground beyond the platform.

Springfield-Franconia, north end ancillary area

The only places where you will find evacuation cart on subway station platforms is at stations where there is no open space at track level in the tunnels

Union Station, south end
  by HokieNav

Sand Box John wrote:The only places where you will find evacuation cart on subway station platforms is at stations where there is no open space at track level in the tunnels
The link that I posted says that's changing, they're moving the carts to all of the platforms.
  by Sand Box John

"HokieNav"
The link that I posted says that's changing, they're moving the carts to all of the platforms.

Don't understand the reason why they are moving them to the platforms. When they are at track level you don't have to lower the carts from the platform to the tracks. After retrieving the cart from it's storage area you roll it to the platform and load it instead carrying the rescue equipment to the cart storage location.

WMATA publishes a document titled Emergency Evacuation Map. Said document shows the location of evacuation carts, fire hydrants, standpipe lines and connection points, shafts both with and without stairs, traction power substations, traction power tie breaker stations, telephone/emergency trip stations, ejector pumps, fire alarm zones, access points both internal and external to various ancillary areas. . .

It is my understanding that every fire station that may be called to an incident on WMATA property has a copy of this document.
  by farecard

Estimated cost (in 2009 dollars) for a new ETEC is $800. The estimated cost (in 2009 dollars) to procure and install ETEC lockers in stations is $6,000 per locker.
What is wrong with this picture?
  by Sand Box John

"farecard"
"Estimated cost (in 2009 dollars) for a new ETEC is $800. The estimated cost (in 2009 dollars) to procure and install ETEC lockers in stations is $6,000 per locker."

What is wrong with this picture?

Taking into consideration that this is an agency of government that is doing this, the price doesn't seem all that great.

There are a lot of logistics involved:
Transportation of the lockers and installation hardware to the location. Likely being done after hours with a work train.
Transporting the labor and tools to the location to do the installation. Also likely being done after hours with a work train.
Additional cost of labor to do the installation after hours.
  by justalurker66

I agree. The prices do seem low. As noted earlier in the thread, cabinets like that are not cheap. For an "installed" price the $6k sounds good. (Especially when you calculate in the overhead of doing it to government specifications.)

Even getting specialty carts for $800 each sounds like a good deal.
  by farecard

My point is you could buy a cart, and leave it out in the weather, and replace it FIVE times before you pay for the cabinet. If they were covered with tarp, they'd last even longer.

So why was $6K each spent on the stainless cabinets???
  by oknazevad

I would imagine it's also a security matter. A permanently mounted, heavy duty utility cabinet with a strong lock is going to do a lot more to prevent theft or misuse of the cart than a tarp ever could. The move to on the platform puts them in a spot that's not just more accessable to the crews (which I believe is the main reason), but also to the public.

Without it, they'd likely have to relave the cart five times over in a single year, just from reckless youths taking them for joyrides down the tracks (not to mention the media firestorm that would occur if a kid did just that and caused an incident with a packed train.

No, this is hardly a waste of cash, but an actual case of foresight on the part of WMATA.
  by Sand Box John

"farecard"

The cabinet shown in the photos you posted appear to me to not be made of stainless steel. They look to me like they are made of aluminum.
  by justalurker66

farecard wrote:My point is you could buy a cart, and leave it out in the weather, and replace it FIVE times before you pay for the cabinet. If they were covered with tarp, they'd last even longer.
No thanks. This is emergency equipment. I certainly wouldn't want to be the one responsible if one was damaged (by weather or vandals) and was not available for an emergency. I also would not want the liability if some kid stuck their hand in the wrong place or knocked one loose. The cabinets don't just protect the equipment, they protect people from the equipment.
Including installation. If you want to do things right it costs a little money.
  by farecard

Sand Box John wrote:"farecard"

The cabinet shown in the photos you posted appear to me to not be made of stainless steel. They look to me like they are made of aluminum.

I looked today; and the welds look exactly as I expect stainless to weld; ditto the exposed surfaces....
  by Sand Box John

Motorized emergency rescue vehicles will speed response to Metrorail incidents
For immediate release: March 24, 2010

Youtube video of cart being assembled

Took some time to figure out where the video was shot. It was shot outside the maintenance of way wing attached to the operation building at Greenbelt Yard
  by Robert Paniagua

This is being done for the very likely reason of the 06 22 2009 Red Line wreck, so that's why they are putting them where the public can see them for easier access
  by farecard

If these cabinets are for the new MERV's....Putting them where they must be tipped down and then lifted down to the tracks... strikes me as a major PITA.

Even if not, i.e. they hold the hand-drawn cars; Jill Citizen will find those cabinets are solidly locked.