• NEW BOOK: "The Long Island Railroad" Volume 1 1949-1966

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by nyandw

Johnny F wrote:Dave has 2 great books out with Steve Lynch - correct captions and everything!
Thanks Johnny F! :-D

The Long Island Rail Road 1925 - 1975

Revisiting the Long Island Rail Road 1925 - 1975

On the LIRR Bibliography page: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrbibliography.htm
and at: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrcontents.htm I added indexes for both books; available at this location.

Both in multiple printing runs. http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/index.html, Amazon, eBay, etc.
  by LIengineerBob

I just got my copy of the book, and found an additional correction that needs to be made:

From what I can tell, nn page 96, in the photo of RS-3 #1560 in Port Jeff Yard, the caption states that the signal is an eastbound manual block signal, when that signal is on the west end of the station, governing moves for westbound trains. Westbound trains would need a clear block signal displayed to depart Port Jeff.
The end of block sign is for eastbound trains, not westbounds departing Port Jeff. It does not signify the limits of the block from BK to Port Jeff, it signifies the end of the BK block at Port Jeff and trains are to follow rule 153 while not on main track.
Additionally, I don't think the train is ready to depart from Port Jeff, at least not from that track, not impossible though, as it could get out the west switch of the west yard.

I did find nearly all of the photos quite interesting. Being a modeler, the photos will come in as handy reference for that purpose!
  by LRail

Maybe the second volume, due this fall, will be more carefully edited. I heard it was supposed to cover the MTA era. -Lee
  by Dave Keller

I get the impression from a comment the author made at the end concerning the next book, that the 2nd volume is already printed and is just awaiting a set period of time for the first one to take off and then they'll hit the market with the second one.

I may be wrong, but I seriously think the publication is already a "done deal."

Dave
  by LI2010

If $50 for pictures and bad information is acceptable to you, you deserve to be called a foamer.
Crabman1130

Uncalled for comment.
I worked for the RR and I will add the book to my collection.
Always nice to have LIRR books, especially if they have photos not seen before.
I guess that makes me a "foamer" too.. :wink:
In addition, 2 LIRR Engineers have done books.. Jay Bendersky, and Richie Harrison.. does that make them foamers too?
  by Ocala Mike

I bought the book too, even though I am aware of the many errors in it thanks to this thread. Should be fun to go through it and see how many I can spot myself.
  by keyboardkat

Stan Fischler's book on the LIRR is full of errors also, but the pictures are terrific.
  by Dump The Air

Moaning Scums books are 50 dollar slideshows and nothing more, the only one I own that I was pleased with and provided good information was the Jim Boyd/Tracy Antz L&HR book. You don't buy these things expecting a give-all-know-all about the territory/railroad they are covering. Just pretty pictures that are sometimes scanned in correctly.