• New Amtrak Equipment: Options

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

If Amtrak was to buy new equipment this year, which company might the equip. come from?

Bombardier
53%
Alstom
13%
General Electric
6%
EMD
13%
Other
16%
  by Gilbert B Norman

While "looks can be deceiving", note from the linked photo the several METRA car designs in service today on the BNSF.

No question whatever, the older Budd bi-levels look "like brick outhouses" compared with their latter day sucessors.

I believe you will find that the CBQ directed Budd to"overengineer" the cars, as when they were participating in the car's preliminary design with Budd, they were still "reeling" (and likely settling claims) from the April 25, 1946 incident at Naperville in which there were 45 fatalities.

http://members.aol.com/chirailfan/mpbnsf.html
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by John_Perkowski

Mr 4014...

As I stated in an earlier post, someone either in DOT or an engineer who is also a fan will have to do the modeling (or else destructive testing out at Colorado Springs).

My suspicion is both heavyweight cars (especially Pullman sleepers) and lightweight cars after the initial move to streamline (anything from the 1938 El Capitan or 1941 City of San Francisco era forward), properly maintained, will exceed Federal standards for crashworthiness.