Railroad Forums 

• need some pointers

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#155124  by hille

hi everybody,
my hubby is going to an employment session for csx tomorrow, the position is for a carman.
he has worked as a metal fabricator and was a supervisor in a welding shop. however, for the last 8 years he had his own metal fabrication shop. is that going to hurt his chances being self employed for that long?
he is also 45, i hope the age is not an issue. i have to say he never had an dui, no drugs or anything. he is a very hard worker and would like to work for a company that gives him chances to advance.
what does he need to know to make the cut?
do you have any tips that could help him?
 #155125  by jg greenwood

hille wrote:hi everybody,
my hubby is going to an employment session for csx tomorrow, the position is for a carman.
he has worked as a metal fabricator and was a supervisor in a welding shop. however, for the last 8 years he had his own metal fabrication shop. is that going to hurt his chances being self employed for that long?
he is also 45, i hope the age is not an issue. i have to say he never had an dui, no drugs or anything. he is a very hard worker and would like to work for a company that gives him chances to advance.
what does he need to know to make the cut?
do you have any tips that could help him?
The CSX hired me in 1996, at age 49. I don't believe your husband's age will be a detriment.

#155455  by Chris_S68

Hey JG,
With all your experience, did you still have to pay for all of CSX's required training and whatnot?

#155459  by CSX Conductor

Chris_S68 wrote:Hey JG,
With all your experience, did you still have to pay for all of CSX's required training and whatnot?
Everybody has to pay for the school, except "professional hires" from other railroads. Even professional hires have to go through the 12 to 16 weeks of training.
 #155460  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

Hille,

I to was self employed the last 7 years and have just been a employee for (3 days now) after 5 weeks of conductor school. We have several older (more wise and experienced men) in my class
I can't tell you how nice it feels to know that you will be getting regular paychecks and not have to worry about chasing your money from deadbeat customers.
He sounds like he has alot to offer to any railroad! Stay positive and try to stay sane--it takes time to get on. I just received information about my new accidental life insurance for my family------$500,000.00 which includes wife, children and me for $26.00 a month. I am paying about $150.00 per month right now for $200,000.00.and that's only me! I will be getting rid of this crap in the next few days.

I hope this helps!

Nashville Newbie

#155471  by Chris_S68

CSX Conductor wrote:
Chris_S68 wrote:Hey JG,
Everybody has to pay for the school, except "professional hires" from other railroads. Even professional hires have to go through the 12 to 16 weeks of training.
That answers my question, thanks. I know it's SOP for pretty much every railroad to send newhires through their own training program. I was just kinda curious how a place like CSX, which requires the "college course", would handle experienced people.