Railroad Forums 

• Need some career advice from experienced railroaders!!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1106053  by DOUGFISH

Heres the deal, very recently I was furloughed by CSX due to overhiring and the economy. I have been a conductor for less than 1 year. I decided I want to still have a career in rail because I like the work and don't know what else I would do. Also, its really the only skill I have to offer employers besides my personality (got my certification card in the mai). However I don't want to stay with CSX. I would like to land another conducting gig with a different company. Trust me Im not a hater but the way things work around there are f*cked up. I have had friends get written up because they threw a switch with a breakstick in their hands. The trainmaster are trying to get ya everyday, its almost like they have nothin else to do. I dont know if its like this all over CSX but it makes me nervous. Do you guys recommend sticking with another class 1 or converting to shortlines? Are the other class 1's better than CSX. I heard BNSF is the best. I am completely open. What r the pro/cons to a shortline vrs. a class 1. Has anyone here worked both? What r some good short lines to work for? Im 23, not married and willing to go anywhere thats a decent place to live. I would like to get another gig before CSX calls me back, of course I'll go back if I can't find anything else. I figure I have a good shot because I am already certified. Thanks for reading this, I know it is kind of all over the place. I would love advice from some experienced railroads.
 #1239398  by COEN77

DOUGFISH, Seeing this was posted over a year ago did you go back to CSX? You mentioned friends that's plural got wrote up for throwing switches while holding a brakestick. They were improperly throwing a switch according to the way they were taught by CSX. You thought that was unfair. Is not following the rules fair? I still stay in contact with co-workers at CSX. Most write ups I hear about was over stupid stuff people trying to do short cuts that ended screwed up all were avoidable. Even if you switch over to another class 1 you'll go through training . They want new employees trained their way. You could get a job on a shortline it doesn't pay the same they love new hires with experience. I'm guessing you got called back.