• Need for new Mohnihan Station disputed

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by DutchRailnut

article in Newsday pretty much summing up the problems about the post office waiting room/station.
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longi ... -headlines

by Lirr168

I wouldn't even call it a problem, it's just plain stupid. The MTA claims to be so poor that they have to raise our ticket prices every year, yet they have no problem dumping millions of dollars into this fruitless pursuit. Did anyone bother to remind the MTA that we already have a perfectly functional (and recently renovated) terminal across the street?

It is beyond me why people have no objection to blowing money on this project, yet the notion of bringing a world-class stadium to the West Side brings out all the NIMBYs.

by Long Island 7285

I could see the WSStadium if NYP was still here, but guess what, its not here and there is a sports arena on top of where it used to be.

with todays construction of stadiums MSG could go Bye Bye as there woudl be no need for it with a mega sports complex only 2 blocks away.
alos note. you all know that the devlopers are going to WANT platforms under the staduim to save there costomers a pressous 2 block walk.

get real america, u dont need that thing in Manhattan,

maby in flushing where shea and the tennis stadiums are, but not in the west side of manhattan. its just plain poor and stupid. i alos wonder what the forces of the hudson river will bee like to this sports thing.

by BEDT16RMLI

What is going to be next the Hillary Rodman Clinton Carpet Bagger jamiaca station?

etc

by Noel Weaver

As I have said several times on this and other forums, this is a HUGE
waste of money. It will not benefit the commuters nor the other users to
any great degree and could actually make their trip a little more difficult if
anything.
Track, tunnel, bridge, equipment and signal improvements all need funds
and are far more important. Much more benefit to passengers too.
Noel Weaver

by LI Loco

This is a case of good intentions gone awry. Sen. Moynihan, in his wisdom, realized that New York was the only major city along the Northeast Corridor lacking a beautifully restored depot. Before his passing, he was able to get Uncle Sam, NY State and NY City on board.

The project might have made sense for Amtrak, which operates intercity service, including several long-distance runs. However, after Amtrak walked away, NY State was left holding the back and now they are trying to force the LIRR (and NJ Transit) to pick up the pieces. Better to walk away.

I remind everyone that Madison Square Garden is approaching the end of its useful life. Regardless of what happens to the West Side Stadium, Cablevision has to start thinking about a new facility; perhaps using air rights over the opening behind 9th Ave. If something like that happens, it would be better to tear down MSG and build a new Penn Station on the original site.

by de402

BEDT16RMLI wrote:What is going to be next the Hillary Rodman Clinton Carpet Bagger jamiaca station?
highly original BEDT.. allthough it's an improvement over the dump it used to be.

by Long Island 7285

perhaps using air rights over the opening behind 9th Ave. If something like that happens, it would be better to tear down MSG and build a new Penn Station on the original site.
I've been saying that for god knows how long
if they build this west side complex, make it usefull for everything that the garden does and just add football maby baseball ect. then MSG can go bye bye and NYP built to its 1910 standards with some modifacations can be rebuilt rebuild it to both reflect 90% of the origional momumnet to the PRR and the other 10% to the needs to fit in TVM's and other crap that was not in the origional station.

a new NYP then can be protected as a national historic sight similar to GCT.

then MSG would have this mega complex of there own cable vission would then own the new complex.

still even rebuildng NYP, the WSStaduim will require platforms in WSY because 2 blocks is just too dam far to walk.

by BEDT16RMLI

hey I rather see it named after some one who has done something for New York Like Mayor Gulianii i know it is spelt wrong.