Railroad Forums 

• NEC Regional "midnight special"?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#27645  by 7 Train

As Amtrak still has mail and freight service in the Northeast, I suggested that to save costs, all freight and mail along the NEC should be on one late night/morning Regional train called the "Midnight Special". It will leave Washington at 12 AM (hence the name).

Here's my proposed schedule

Dp. Washington 12 00 AM
Baltimore 12 36 AM
Wilmington 1 27 AM
Philaldelphia 1 53 AM
Trenton 2 27 AM
Newark 3 00 AM
New York 3 25 AM (ar) 3 45 AM (dp)
New Haven 5 00 AM
Providence 6 10 AM
Boston 6 59 AM

Since this train will be very long, carrying all NEC freight/mail (at least 10 cars) it will require 2 AEM7's. (That will not be a problem for electric equipment shortage since at these late night hours almost all AEM7's will be sleeping in their barns!)

The advantages of this one train carrying alll NEC freight is obvious: it means that the trains currently doing freight and mail duties (Federal-66/67, Silver Service, Crescent and Three Rivers) along the corridor could now focus solely on passenger service and not freight.

It might be possible for this train to have several coaches for passengers as well. Riders may prefer to travel late nights when there are less passengers and and they can get to their destination early the next day.

#27646  by RMadisonWI

I thought the mail/freight was carried on train 190, formerly train 12 the "Fast Mail." This train leaves WAS at 03:00. The last time I rode trains 66/67, when they were the Twilight Shoreliner, they had a couple of MHCs, and nothing more (freight-wise, that is).

Also, I am under the impression that any freight carried along the NEC on the long-distance trains is going off the corridor anyway (or coming from off-corridor), so there would be no advantage to moving the mail to another train (and would add the disadvantage of additional switching cars in/out of the train en route).

Woo hoo! 100 posts!

#27647  by LI Loco

Also, I think most - if not all - of 190's mail cars are transferred to 490 and hauled to Springfield, MA, where the daily mail train originates.
 #27725  by Gilbert B Norman

Lest we forget, Mr. 7 Train, there are no scheduled train movements at "midnight" on any railroad; there is simply too much confusion that could result when referencing the date.

Trains always depart at 1159P or 1201A, public timetables over the years have generally respected that convention.

#27738  by mattfels

Does anyone else remember Eastern Airlines' "Moonlight Special" program? "The Wings of Man" ran a 24-hour operation, flying cargo in the bellies of its passenger planes in the dead of night. Somebody figured, "We can't take the seats out, so why not sell them at a big discount?" Kind of a nifty idea, but it didn't exactly save Eastern, and no one's tried it since--though UPS at one point toyed with it.

#27757  by DutchRailnut

That is why most railroads use militaiury time these days Mr Norman.
with Militairy time there is no confusion. there is techinicaly no 00:00 but even if someone used it the train would still leave at 24:00 hours. :P :P
did Amtr #12 not get eliminated cause Springfield Mail center now only uses trucks ??
 #27759  by Gilbert B Norman

As oft noted here, I have been away from the industry for some 23 years. My road, the MILW, was party to the Consolidated Code of Operating Rules. New hires to the industry likely say "WAZZAT".

I must say NORAC WAZZAT?

Time marches on!!!!!

#29864  by Peter E

Most of the late evening frieght on the NEC is operated by Norfolk Southern or CSX as part of their "shared assets" program. (See July 2004 Trains about this nightmare). Very late night traffic seems to be more CSX with a 3 am or so trip through my home town of Alexandria VA. It's known by area fans as the "Sparkplug" an auto parts train bound for Newport News and the export trade.

As for a single mail and express run this might just be doable and with a rider coach for the hardy traveler. I believe Amtrak did in fact have such an operation a number of years ago (mid to late 80's) emphasizing a fast, no frills mail train.

My favorite remains, however, number 78 the Friday only Newport News to Richmond movement. Anyone at the forum ever ridden that 'mystery train?"