Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#142290  by communipaw

Two strangers jumped onto the tracks at the Grove Street PATH Station and rescued a man who had fallen off the platform, pulling him to safety just before a train roared into the station.

The near-tragedy occurred at 9:48 p.m. Saturday on the platform for the 33rd Street-bound train, PATH spokesman Steve Coleman said. The unidentified man suddenly went into seizure-like convulsions and then fell motionless onto the track bed, said Arkady Kiner, an East Brunswick resident who was among the 20 or so people waiting for the train.

Two men stepped forward from the crowd of onlookers and jumped the 41/2-foot gap between the platform and the track beds and tried to push the man back up onto the platform, Kiner said. It was at that point, Kiner said, that he heard the rumble of the approaching train from around the bend. "That was the most horrifying moment," Kiner said. "People were screaming that a train was coming."

As the lights of the train came into view, the two men worked with people on the platform to hoist the man to safety, Kiner said. Meanwhile, the train's alert engineer slammed on the brakes, bringing it to a screeching halt.

The rescued man got up and then, without a word, walked off, Kiner said. "Everybody gathered around to see how he feels . and all of the sudden, he got up, face completely clear, and said nothing at all," Kiner said.

© 2005 The Jersey Journal
http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/index.s ... xml&coll=3

#142332  by JLo

Wow.

I saw an older man fall at JSC one night, probably drunk. Someone jumped down to help him and another alertly ran over to the PA police office. Fortunately no train came before the officer arrived, and presumably, someone advised dispatch to not allow trains on the two impacted tracks (2-3, I believe). However, the officer ordered the Good Samaritan to get back on the platform, then left the old man to try and get up himself, which was never going to happen. The result was a 15 minute delay of trains while this poor guy stumbled around. Finally, the officer went down and hoisted him up with another officer.

#142365  by Guest

I'm surprised that these didn't happen at Pavonia-Newport's island platform, plus aren't there stairwells at each end of the platform like in the NYC Subway?

#143031  by arrow

Sounds a little fishy to me given that the guy got up and walked out as if nothing had happened.