• Nassau Hub Revisited 10 Oct 2005

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by One of One-Sixty

I am still pushing the reactivating of the GCS and was wondering,

1) What politicians are pushing the Nassau Hub idea.

2) What Politicians are against any rail activity on the GCS.

3) What is the name of the developer who wants to build the new Coliseum with the Condos and the other new building.

4) Is the Marriot/Hilton (forget which hotel it is) is it franchised or corperate owned? If franchised what is name of the developer/real estate agent/owner of it.
  by Sir Ray

One of One-Sixty wrote:I am still pushing the reactivating of the GCS and was wondering,

1) What politicians are pushing the Nassau Hub idea.

2) What Politicians are against any rail activity on the GCS.

3) What is the name of the developer who wants to build the new Coliseum with the Condos and the other new building.
Well, you probably already knew this, but the only people that seem still interested in the Hub proposal is the Nassau Hub Citizens Advisory Committee (as opposed to paying lip service to it):
http://longislandnn.org/hub/hubcac.htm

Charles Wang is probably the investor you are thinking of in terms of the Nassau Coliseum redevelopment - note that his proposal caught the Nassau Hub CAC unaware, as their map of transit routes (from March 2005) does not reflect his proposal. There are other proposals out there, and I am not sure if they are just spoilers like the half-arsed plan to develop Brooklyn's Atlantic Terminal (which Ratner eventually easily won with his Arena plan) or if they are actually serious...

The 'Hub' concept (whatever that may be) tends to bring out the silliest statements by politican and civic associations alike: Witness Suzzoi's 'idea' to tunnel the intersection of Merrick Ave and Hempstead (er, why the hell for? now, if he said grade separate the interchange, then we're getting somewhere).

People seem somewhat deluded that the Hub itself is undeveloped land - actually, most of it is quite developed, and while there are some sections which are vacant or underused, there are also quite a few large institutions there (from Nassau Community to Hofstra to the Omni Building to Roosevelt Field - which BTW wishes once again to expand) - also, what may seem vacant unused land is there for a good reason - witness the Hempstead Plains http://www.hempsteadplains.com/hemppln0.htm.

by NIMBYkiller

Charles Wang is the guy most closely associated with current Nassau Hub plans. He wanted to build that lighthouse thing and all sorts of other stuff. Suozzi came out with his own plans for the hub.

I think much of the focus should really remain on the coliseum area, as that is the most wasted land in the region. The parking lot is far bigger than necesary. They could just put in multi story parking in that lot behind the coliseum and develop the main parking lot.

BTW, it's a Marriott.

by Sir Ray

NIMBYkiller wrote:Charles Wang is the guy most closely associated with current Nassau Hub plans.
Ha, beat ya to the punch there, Nimby! :-D
I think much of the focus should really remain on the coliseum area, as that is the most wasted land in the region. The parking lot is far bigger than necesary. They could just put in multi story parking in that lot behind the coliseum and develop the main parking lot.
I have been to events where, believe it or not, that parking lot fills up (then some people, in disgust, park on the grassy areas, and get towed). Normally it's pretty empty, and in the past was used for such events as the June LI Fair, Off-road handling clinic (they built dirt mounds and ramps in the lot), Caribbean fairs, bus rodeos, and so on - not sure where they'll find a lot big enough for such events in the future (the Nassau Community college lot fills up fast too - Hofstra has decent size lots on the North Campus, but often they're booked for events. I personally am fine with Parking Garages, but those suckers are gonna have to be big to hold, what, 30K/40K vehicles if the 'Lighthouse' is built...

by Long Island 7285

Hofstra built a new lot over part of the flat car unloading ramp, suprisingly the RAMP is till intact, i wonder howmuch longer though... it would be nice if it satays as it is out of the way and it did play an intrigal part in LI's military history.

by Sir Ray

Long Island 7285 wrote:Hofstra built a new lot over part of the flat car unloading ramp, suprisingly the RAMP is till intact, i wonder howmuch longer though... it would be nice if it satays as it is out of the way and it did play an intrigal part in LI's military history.
Hmm? Which ramp is this - when I hear the 'flat car unloading ramp' in the area of the 'Nassau Hub' I think of the forelorn concrete ramp on the South side of Charles Linbergh Blvd, a little to the west of the main entrance to the Mitchel Athletic Complex.
Hofstra, as far as I know, shouldn't be building anything there as that's county land (I think OSI was the next building over, but that facility was for sale)

by Long Island 7285

Sir Ray.

I would say that you discribed it,

If you go there and stand on the top, you are in DRECT line with the LIRR 35 platform just north of it, basicly the track that 35 was on, ended at that ramp.

there is pics of is on arrts arcives with the circus train ca.1970s

by NIMBYkiller

Well, I don't support the lighthouse plan, but I do support his plans for Coliseum refurbishing, as well as for Apartments and some medical and sports research center stuff, as well as the conference area.

I'm trying to mix his and Suozzi's plans. So far I've come up with some pretty neat ideas that I'll be making a website for soon.

by mjb777

one of one sixty , Charles Wang recently teamed up with Recson Associates to bolster his plans for the Hub and to try to get it passed by the Nassau CTY. Legislature with the full backing of Tom Suozzi.