Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Backshophoss

Dutch,You mean Joe Trifono,went with him to a public meeting in Danbury,At that meeting the subject was what to do for coaching stock,
Rebuild(recycle) the 4400's or buy new,BBD made their "pitch" using the Comet I design at that meeting. BBD got the award not too long
after that.

There was a bunch of 4400's stored at Bridgeport at that time,but had some Haz-Mat issues to deal with if rebuilt,
and vandelised to boot!
  by DutchRailnut

Correct, tried to remember name from memory, as all my books are packed for move.
  by Tadman

Said CDOT use of NHRR livery in the 80's might be the first "heritage" locomotives (other than roads like UP and CNW that never changed).
  by Backshophoss

The 4 ConnDOT FL-9's rebuilt at Chrome Crankshft Silvas,were the first to revive the NH Paint scheme.
  by DutchRailnut

Backshophoss wrote:The 4 ConnDOT FL-9's rebuilt at Chrome Crankshft Silvas,were the first to revive the NH Paint scheme.
as mentioned about one page ago...
  by R36 Combine Coach

Backshophoss wrote:Rebuild(recycle) the 4400's or buy new,BBD made their "pitch" using the Comet I design at that meeting. BBD got the award not too long
after that.

There was a bunch of 4400's stored at Bridgeport at that time,but had some Haz-Mat issues to deal with if rebuilt,
and vandelised to boot!
Had the NH 4400s been given a modest overhaul program in the early 80s, I felt some could have lasted until the M-4s or even to the M-6s in 1994.
  by DutchRailnut

Nope, as they could not run on 60hz, did not have cab/atc and were loaded to hilt with Asbestos.
  by Tommy Meehan

True. I know someone (now retired) who was part of a Conrail Metropolitan Region team that recommended overhauling the 4400s and using them as locomotive-hauled coaches. This was either just before or right after the Metro-North startup when the railroad was short of equipment.

But he says after giving it some study the MTA turned it down, for the reasons Dutch mentioned, plus the fact the cars had a a major issue with PCBs.

Wasn't there a problem too with body corrosion?

(Wow did this thread ever get off-topic. Alternate name, now we're discussing NH 4400s.) :)

by Tommy Meehan

It's not all good. At least not all the time.

Depends on what kind of a mood certain people are in.

Just sayin'.

:)
  by Backshophoss

Any equipment with that fluid in the transformer's cooling system was suspect,removal and remedation of PCB's
was a BIG DEAL back then and very $$$$ to boot. GG-1's,4400's,and the remaining active MP-54's had this fluid.

Everything in this thread happened around this time,just before the creation of MNR,and Amtrak's takeover of the NEC.
It's all part of the history of the area,RR wise.
  by Ridgefielder

M&Eman wrote:It would be cool if, like CDOT's embrace of the New Haven RR corporate identity, MNRR used the NY Central, NJ Transit used Erie-Lackawanna (for the Hoboken Division) and Jersey Central (for the Newark Division), and SEPTA used a PRR/Reading scheme. That would make for some good-looking Northeast Railroading.
There's a difference, though. "New Haven Railroad" is not just the old corporate identity: it's the literal description of the line itself. It *is* the railroad to New Haven. In fact, once CDOT brings NH-H-S commuter service back, "New York, New Haven & Hartford" would be a decent description of the route. You can't say that of the other lines around NY. Neither the Harlem nor the Hudson divisions go anywhere near the center of New York State. No NJT line gets within 60 miles of the Lackawanna valley, let alone Lake Erie, and Jersey Central is just generic. I suppose you could call the North Jersey Coast Line the New York & Long Branch, but that's about it.
  by NH2060

Tommy Meehan wrote:It's not all good. At least not all the time.

Depends on what kind of a mood certain people are in.

Just sayin'.

:)
My thread, my rules LOL
That being said, you're most certainly correct :-P This rather meandering discussion certainly took an interesting and informative turn this time!
  by NH2060

Ridgefielder wrote:
M&Eman wrote:It would be cool if, like CDOT's embrace of the New Haven RR corporate identity, MNRR used the NY Central, NJ Transit used Erie-Lackawanna (for the Hoboken Division) and Jersey Central (for the Newark Division), and SEPTA used a PRR/Reading scheme. That would make for some good-looking Northeast Railroading.
In fact, once CDOT brings NH-H-S commuter service back, "New York, New Haven & Hartford" would be a decent description of the route.
Hmm maybe even bring back the old script logo? ;-)
  by Backshophoss

It was not easy to get ConnDOT to do the McGinness scheme in the begining,now it's ConnDOT's ID for SLE service and the
the "new" NHV-Hartford service after the M-8's start running on SLE service.
The script logo might be a streach.