Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by jayrmli

In Rockville Center, when the tracks were elevated over Montauk Highway (by the Bally's) there was an extra bridge built to carry another track. Anyone know why they did this? Was it an old freight siding?

Jay

by LI Loco

This used to lead to a small yard that had capacity for 10-15 freight cars plus an REA station that used to receive head-end cars. I believe the REA track had third rail but I am not certain. Maybe one of the oldtimers can confirm.

by Mr Met

is that a team track

by LI Loco

There may have been one or more team tracks on the site, but since I was a mere lad then, I don't recall the particulars. I know the Valley Stream yard had a team track. My uncle used to run a factory in Rosedale that sent trailers to transload paperboard off boxcars.

There are no tracks remaining at the Rockville Centre site. It's now occupired by Waldbaums and Mavis Tire.

by Dave Keller

The “mystery bridge” over Montauk Highway carried the electrified siding westbound from the eastbound #2 track, with the switch just west of the Banks Avenue overpass.

This track and yard were put in service in 1938 and extended to the original freight house, with additional sidings branching off to access the four (4) team tracks (all electrified). The "new" freight house track was added in 1950 to service the new freight house. This siding into the yard was elevated with the grade elimination of 1950, hence the “mystery bridge.”

The original freight house of 1938 later became the express house when the new freight house was built in 1950. I would think that prior to 1950, the old depot handled the express as was done in most instances at that time.

All tracks in the yard, with the exception of the 1950 freight house track which headed due south, stopped on the east side of and perpendicular to Ocean Avenue.

These sidings were all electrified, with the exception of the new, 1950-era freight house siding. All electrification was removed by 1951. (End of DD1 freight service.)

This yard and trackage was in use as late as my 1958 map. How much later it lasted, I have no idea, however, I’m sure that once the express service stopped on the LIRR, the yard (and siding) was no longer of any use.

Perhaps it was removed in the early-mid 1960s? Patchogue's freight and express houses were removed with the 1963 depot area reorganization. So, maybe around the same time.

J.J. Earl, if you’re reading, do you remember this yard and when it was last used?

Dave Keller

by jayrmli

Thanks again. Always wondered about that bridge.

Jay

by mp15ac

If you drive on Ocean Avenue (just west of Bally's) as you go under the railroad you will cross rails still embedded in the road.

Also, just to nit-pick, in Nassau County Montauk Highway is called Merrick Road. I grew up in Merrick, and am proud of my town's namesake road. :wink:

Stuart

by Dave Keller

I know it's Merrick Road thru there.

I just repeated what the original poster wrote so as not to confuse anyone.

:wink: Dave Keller

by jayrmli

Sorry about that! Being from Suffolk, it's a force of habit. To compromise, change all mentions of Montauk Highway to Route 27A. :-)

Jay