• My Grandfather was a LIRR Commuter

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by HSSRAIL

My Mothers Dad Sidney rode the Long Island Rail Road Starting in the 1920's up until the early 1970's. He bought a house in Woodmere in the late 1920's prior to that he rode from Far Rockaway on the old Rockaway Branch. He said the LIRR banned smoking on that train because the wooden trestle was constantly burning up account lit cigarettes being tossed out the windows by commuters. He would ride from Woodmere to New York where he worked in the families Hat Business their factory was in downtown New York. When Sid bought his house his dad Jake who founded the Hat Factory said why are you buying out in the boonies?
The answer to that question was affordable housing in which to raise his two daughters. His brother Leo shop foreman lived in the house adjoining his backyard and Leo would do the grilling on a brick barbeque that adjoined the two backyards the people who bought those houses are probably not related now and I wonder if they fight over who owns it?
Anyway suburban commuting on Long Island was well established by the 1940's it progressed in rings. The Inner Ring out to Queens was first established by the turn of the century and than the middle ring which went out as far as Babylon by the 1930's the outer ring began after World War II when the vets came home.

Sid enjoyed riding on the Long Island Rail Road and said it was mostly on time which is all you could ask from a railroad. He also never played cards with anyone but the same group of friends so he never fell pray to the card sharks. Incidently the card players didn't like the M1's because they didn't have roll over seats. Service deteriated during the period of State Takeover and than got better he didn't know why but it almost cost Gov Rockefeller an election. My dad rode the railroad out of Greenlawn just as the state was taking over, he said the service was terrible. The service improved with the electrification out to Huntington and he liked it better. But he said there was a point when you got on a train you had know idea when it would arrive at its destination. He said one day one of the passengers in his car shouted at a collector if you want to live you'd better get the "heck" out of this car. The collector disappeared he decided today wasn't a good day to be collecting the fare. The passengers were just climbing the walls this was in 1969-1970.

by alcoc420

Thanks for the story. My grandfather also took the train alot in 1910s to 20s from Woodmere or Cederhurst. I remember him in the 1960s and 70s. Late in his life he could rapidly rattle off the names of all the stations the same way the guys in the middle of Penn Station could. "....SeafordMassepequaMassepequaParkAmityvilleCopaigueLindenhurstBabylonBayshoreIslipGreatRiverOakdaleSayville...."
  by Ocala Mike

...Bayport, Blue Point, and Patchogue.
  by PhilBob1

alcoc420 wrote:Thanks for the story. My grandfather also took the train alot in 1910s to 20s from Woodmere or Cederhurst. I remember him in the 1960s and 70s. Late in his life he could rapidly rattle off the names of all the stations the same way the guys in the middle of Penn Station could. "....SeafordMassepequaMassepequaParkAmityvilleCopaigueLindenhurstBabylonBayshoreIslipGreatRiverOakdaleSayville...."
Sounds familiar. My grandfather commuted from Great Neck into Manhattan daily to work at Royal Globe Insurance in the fifties and sixties. Remember rushing to the station in the evening to meet the train so we could get home to supper when we visited from upstate. Always wanted to wander the platform to take in the chaos of arriving trains but was too young to do so.

by Mark E. Smith

You have heard many a tale about Grandpa taken his Grandson for a ride on a steam engine. How about this I took my Grandfather for a ride on a steam engine.when I was promoted in the late 40Ts. Round trip from Patchouge to Babylon as he was living in Oakdale at the time
Mark Smith.
Retired July 31,1976.

by Dave Keller

Hi Mark!!!!!!!

Glad to see you are now able to post!!!

Welcome to the discussion group!

Dave

by Mark E. Smith

Hi Dave,
Part way there . Printed another message but it went somewhere else. Will keep trying. Am in Santa Cruz Ca. for a week.Long trip Sunday from Fort Myers to San Francisco. Could not get on one flight and second was delayed an hour in Chicago. Did fly over a large yard in Chicago area.
Mark
  by Tommy Meehan

HSSRAIL wrote:The passengers were just climbing the walls this was in 1969-1970.
I well remember this time period. I didn't commute on the LIRR - or even live in Long Island - but the problems of the railroad were in the news every day. They were phasing in the M1s and couldn't get enough cars in service to cover all the trains. Weekday rush hours became a nightmare of annulled trains and reduced consists.

One of the New York papers - probably the Daily News - even printed a "Daily LIRR Scoreboard." One column would list the number of cars required to cover all trains. The next column would list the actual number of cars the road had put in service the day before. The third column would list the shortfall.

Then came the day Gov.Rockefeller appeared before a Long Island businessmen's group. In response to a series of questions about, "What's the problem with the Long Island Rail Road" a frustrated Rockefeller finally answered, within so many months the road "would provide the finest commuter service in the United States." That comment immediately became a front page headline story. However as Rockefeller himself later admitted, there was no plan in place. None of his aides had any idea he was going to say it. In fact he himself "didn't know" he was going to say it until...he said it! But it soon became a campaign issue on which Rocky had to deliver. Or else!

They did a pretty good job eventually.