• My G-guage Empire...6' at a time!

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Guilford Guy

Good luck!
By the time you get back I'll hopefully have a P2 or P4 to run up the mountain div along with a trio of B&M diesels :-)
  by Cosmo

And at it again!
I rbalasted about half my mainline and upgraded my ml curves to r=5' min (10' diamiter.)
I have also begun reducing the gradefrom "Sawyers" to "Avalanche Brook," which means the bridge will need pier & abutment work (which it needs anyway. :wink: )
OH! And, I found a good "Tarnax-type" detarnisher to use on all the old LGB and other brass track I have lying around. In combination with GOO-GONE I am getting MUCH better results electricly these days. :P
Pics of my work are posted on the MECRR Yahoo Group.

by Guilford Guy

Looks nice! But gawsh, you need MEC equipment... I mean, a narrow gauge 4-6-0, and equipment?!
Oi... Well, you can always paint an Aristo 2-8-0...
  by Cosmo

Well,...
The bridge work is DONE! Photos to be posted soon! Now I need to get off my butt and start working on the "Frankenstein Monster," .. er, I mean TRESTLE!
And I know, I need MEC stuff!
I'm working on that, thanks!
  by Cosmo

by Cosmo

At it again this month...
completed base for newest bridge, put annother 6' mainline "in service," and got out the measuring tape....
***DRUMROLLLLL***

...a WHOPPING 88' 4"!!!!!!!!!!!

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
  by Cosmo

Ok,....
here's the more recent pics from out back:
Beecher Falls Mixed
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/23 ... good-times
Crossing NEW Sawyer River bridge
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/21 ... good-times

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/21 ... good-times

The bricks under the middle of the new span will eventuqlly be used to rebuild/replace the bridge above/behind the one in the foreground.
Someday, eventually, these will both be thru-trusses.
  by Cosmo

Well. here's how my day went:
1000: REVILIE! Cofee, email, feed cats, other boring stuff.... (Legs still recovering from Springfield/Big-E and having "Duty" the night before.)
1030-11ish: Worked up nerve to o outside, grab a shovel and do some serious clearing. After moving my car about 6' I shoveld about 3-4' of walkway and spent the rest of the next hour-or-so clearing off my mainline. Unfortunately, there was an ice-layer below the more recently fallen snow that prevented me from utilizing more realistic means of snowfighting (ie: wedge or rotary-snowplows, of which I have NIETHER at this time anyway,) so it was all shovel work.
1115: discovered remains of a "Downed Power-Pole" and an electrical switch that were taken out by my shovel. Hey, lessons learned, right? (Pictures of that maybe later.) Also: fought with an ice-locked brick to find the ends of the power-leads to connect track power, (assuming I'll be brave enough to go back out...
aaaahhhh! Who am I kidding? )
1130: Decided to come inside and warm up. Need coffee and some SOLID food!
1320: still havent made it back out... (too busy screwing around on the inter-OH! [AHEM] I mean, WARMING UP!)
I should get out for my first SNOW SPECIAL in about another hour or so.
More, including (I hope) PICTURES to follow,
STAY TUNED!
  by Cosmo

Update!
1420: As advertized, I made it outside exactly 1 hour (give or take a few minutes,) from my previous post! Spent the next 20 minutes setting up.
1440: tried the Bachmann 4-6-0 on the line...
1455: Gave up on the Bacmann loco and got out the "Heavy-Hitter," the ARISTO Pacific!
1530: after about 45 minutes of pushing, tweaking, shoving and some rack cleaning, I got the 4-6-2 to run all the way up the line!
1600: tried the passenger coaches
1620: Got the entire train to go all the way over the line once,... (had to do some minor surgery on a KADEE coupler.)
1630: ready to try taking first video shots!
1645: managed to get some footage... took break.
1715: Tried again, got a couple more decent runs going up the mountain, decided to turn the engine and try the opposite way.
1730: got a few more decent shots
1745: Shooting concluded for evening on account of darkness, cold and me being frustrated!
All in all, not a bad afternoon/evening. Now, to post my video on YOUTUBE!
Links to follow!
  by Cosmo

BREAKING NEWS!!
TWO 4' steel thru-truss bridges arived this weekend via Ebay!!
I have one temporarily in place, and once the ground softens up a bit I can work on placing the seccond.
Pictures to follow, STAY TUNED!
  by slashmaster

Hi Cosmo,

I see you're a G-scaling man! I use to have a battery powered bachman set I ran outdoors. I used aluminum rail spiked to oversized wooden ties to give it the narrow gauge look. Then one day a vandal took a rock from the stone wall and kept dropping it on the tracks so I threw in the towel. Have you ever thought about Live steam? I just ordered an X3 mill I'm still waiting for so playing with the idea of that. I figure if someone does the same thing to the tracks at the steam club I won't have to fix it.
  by Cosmo

I'm trying in vein to save up my pennies for the Aristo live-steam 2-8-2 *sigh*
It's funny you should post today, I was just out working on the trestle that will someday (hopefully) resemble the Frankenstein Trestle.
I have one of the support "towers" built. Now I have an idea how I'm going to do them I can go whole-hog on that... till I run out of cutting discs!