• MTA To Remind Officers There Is No Ban On Train Photography

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Lirr168

Great news!! I think we all owe Bob many thanks for his efforts in tackling this issue. It is really good to know that people can make a difference in dictating public policy; thanks for all your work, Bob!

by emfinite

Bravo, Bob! Keep us updated as to what happens. Glad to see that somebody takes it seriously enough to go through the efforts that you have. You are very passionate about the LIRR and it's people like you who are leaders, not followers and make the difference. Thank you!

Joe

by robertwa

It was not just me. Several people, including jollymonjeff of this forum, also helped.

by NIMBYkiller

Thank you everyone who helped in this effort!

by robertwa

I have uploaded a copy of the letters to and from the MTA to my website:
Here is the link

Chris Dunn of the NYCLU suggested "Please keep in touch with us and let us know about any problems you encounter. My guess is that this will take some time to filter all the way down, so I would expect that you may have problems this weekend. You should have the letters with you.

Bob Andersen
www.lirrhistory.com

by Dave Keller

OUTSTANDING STUFF!!

Now, if I could only get BACK to LI with my camera and 50 rolls of film!!

Dave
  by jollymonjeff

The letter to and response from the LIRR Legal Council will certainly go a long way towards encouraging people to document the beauty, art, history and mechanics of one of the world’s largest commuter railroad.
A few things to remember:
· It will take time for all LIRR and law enforcement personnel to be aware of the current rules. Be prepared if approached and asked about what you are doing. Maybe it is curiosity. Maybe there is a concern or threat that we are unaware of. Maybe they just do not know the rules.
· Be polite, courteous and open about what you are doing. There is no need to be defensive unless challenged.
· It probably would not be a bad idea to have a copy of the letter from the LIRR legal council with you. It could go a long way with someone unaware of the truth. Empathize with the person and explain the lack of a photo ban in an educational manner. Eg, There are so many laws to be aware of and they are always changing. Did you know ....
· Most people are doing what they think is the right thing. Help them continue that by making them aware of the rules in a positive manner.
· With rare exceptions, staff that approach you are true Professionals. Treated with respect, they should offer it in return.
· If there is a time where you feel you are being treated unfairly, note the specifics and calmly walk away. Better to file a complaint then file for bail.

Just my two cents.
Jeff
AKA jollymonjeff. (Jimmy Buffet fan)

by Long Island 7285

Jeff,

I agree with everything you just posted.

What is the rules after this letter, on shooting from a platform?

by Otto Vondrak

There are no rules for shooting on a platform, except that you can't use a tripod or other freestanding equipment (it blocks the path of passengers and could possibly fall over and come in contact with the third rail), and that the police can still ask you not to hang around the platform if they don't want you to. It's called "loitering" if you are at the station without a legitimate purpose, and no, taking train pictures is not always a legitimate purpose.

Besides, there are many better locations than the high level platforms to take pictures at.

If you have specific questions about railroad policy, contact the LIRR in Jamaica, New York. Don't ask us to speculate.

-otto-