Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by alloboard

[*-)] In terms of common sense I knew there was a direct line (track ramp) that runs from Far Rockaway to Rockaway Park. I rode the A and S trains on March 2 2011 at the curve Where The eastbound Rockaway Park branch and westbound Far Rockaway Park branch curve northward there is a one track ramp that links both lines. How come there is no service that allows trains to run straight from Far Rockaway to Rockaway Park or vice versa? Instead you have S train shuttles running from broad channel to Rockaway Park. It makes no sense.This is an example of how corrupted and outdated our nation's rail system is compared with Europe Spain Japan and China. How embarrassing!!!
  by Passenger

alloboard wrote:... outdated ...

I don't know the operational reason for the change, but it was less "outdated" in the 1970s.
  by Kamen Rider

alloboard wrote:[*-)] In terms of common sense I knew there was a direct line (track ramp) that runs from Far Rockaway to Rockaway Park. I rode the A and S trains on March 2 2011 at the curve Where The eastbound Rockaway Park branch and westbound Far Rockaway Park branch curve northward there is a one track ramp that links both lines. How come there is no service that allows trains to run straight from Far Rockaway to Rockaway Park or vice versa? Instead you have S train shuttles running from broad channel to Rockaway Park. It makes no sense.This is an example of how corrupted and outdated our nation's rail system is compared with Europe Spain Japan and China. How embarrassing!!!
here we go again, someone thinks there is aproblem and they start with the "rest of the world" argument. It makes complete and total sense if you just remember the one of the most important rules in business;

if no one is going to need it or use it, what's the point of doing it.

there is no demand for such a service. infact, the last time such a line ran, Rockaway residents hated it.

then there are the operational facts.

#1, Hammels wye, which is what the connection in question was called, is single tracked. That by itself woulf acutally cut the possible total number of toal trains such a service could run by 15% to 20%.

#2The conection does NOT exist for the sake of "common sense". the Rockway line was not built by the subway, but by the Long Island Rail Road. it used to be thru connected to what's now the Far Rockaway branch. the orginal bridges over Jamaica bay burned in 1950, after which the LIRR gave up and sold the line to the city, which beuilt the brgides and opened the line as an extenstion of the INd in 1956. The wye track is vestigal from that era.

#3 having the shuttle run to Broad channel is a same platform connection to the mainline. Changeing directions at beach 67th street would require you to go down and back up again, which might cause you to miss your connection, esspicaly if you are older or just no phsicly capible of doing stairs.
  by jtbell

If my memory serves me correctly, the MTA did at one time operate a "round-robin" route that served both the Rockaway Park and Far Rockaway branches, using all three legs of the wye. I don't remember if it was simply the A train at late night, or a separate shuttle-type service.
  by R36 Combine Coach

jtbell wrote:If my memory serves me correctly, the MTA did at one time operate a "round-robin" route that served both the Rockaway Park and Far Rockaway branches, using all three legs of the wye. I don't remember if it was simply the A train at late night, or a separate shuttle-type service.
It was the H/HH.
  by Robert Paniagua

And then just the nightly (12-5AM) Shuttle between Euclid and B 116th from 1986 till 1992 when it was redesignated as an S and cut back to Broad Channel
  by R36 #9346

Why implement a subway service that would serve such a small number of passengers, when there's already a bus service that does an adequate job? In this case, the Q22.
  by Robert Paniagua

I dont know why, although the diamond <A> serves B116th Street-207th/Manhattan during AM peak inbound only and 207th/Manh-B116th ST for PM Rush outbound only, including those infamous GOs or RAD's (run As Directed)
  by keyboardkat

Bring back the LIRR Rockaway Beach Branch. (Bring back a lot of things that don't exist anymore).
  by gasaxe

jtbell wrote:If my memory serves me correctly, the MTA did at one time operate a "round-robin" route that served both the Rockaway Park and Far Rockaway branches, using all three legs of the wye. I don't remember if it was simply the A train at late night, or a separate shuttle-type service.
Yes, correct. I used to ride that when I had to go into WSSY early.

Get on at Playland, then ride directly to Mott Ave, then back over the bridge to Manhattan. No transfer, one seat all the way to Manhattan making all local stops in Brooklyn It took forever. After doing that a few times, I decided it was faster just to grab the LIRR in Far Rock.
keyboardkat wrote:Bring back the LIRR Rockaway Beach Branch. (Bring back a lot of things that don't exist anymore).
Got to take back the school bus parking lot first.
  by Tadman

I had to look this one up, I'm a Chicago resident so I know next to nothing about NYCTA. It appears the Rockaway lines are a inverted-T shape. It also appears to front a beach on the Atlantic Ocean, with lots of highrise towers on the beach. Are these considered "the projects" or a housing project of some other sort? Around here we had a lot of projects but they were torn down in the last ten years, projects are actually a bit of a rarity in town these days (some still exist near CTA's lower-63rd yard).

Just curious. I could look at bing maps for hours.

Also, if I were ever to find myself in NYC, could I ride this line out to the beach or is that a bad idea for a guy like me that doesn't find himself in rough areas very often?
  by Fan Railer

Kamen Rider wrote:
alloboard wrote:[*-)] In terms of common sense I knew there was a direct line (track ramp) that runs from Far Rockaway to Rockaway Park. I rode the A and S trains on March 2 2011 at the curve Where The eastbound Rockaway Park branch and westbound Far Rockaway Park branch curve northward there is a one track ramp that links both lines. How come there is no service that allows trains to run straight from Far Rockaway to Rockaway Park or vice versa? Instead you have S train shuttles running from broad channel to Rockaway Park. It makes no sense.This is an example of how corrupted and outdated our nation's rail system is compared with Europe Spain Japan and China. How embarrassing!!!
here we go again, someone thinks there is aproblem and they start with the "rest of the world" argument. It makes complete and total sense if you just remember the one of the most important rules in business;

if no one is going to need it or use it, what's the point of doing it.

there is no demand for such a service. infact, the last time such a line ran, Rockaway residents hated it.

then there are the operational facts.

#1, Hammels wye, which is what the connection in question was called, is single tracked. That by itself woulf acutally cut the possible total number of toal trains such a service could run by 15% to 20%.

#2The conection does NOT exist for the sake of "common sense". the Rockway line was not built by the subway, but by the Long Island Rail Road. it used to be thru connected to what's now the Far Rockaway branch. the orginal bridges over Jamaica bay burned in 1950, after which the LIRR gave up and sold the line to the city, which beuilt the brgides and opened the line as an extenstion of the INd in 1956. The wye track is vestigal from that era.

#3 having the shuttle run to Broad channel is a same platform connection to the mainline. Changeing directions at beach 67th street would require you to go down and back up again, which might cause you to miss your connection, esspicaly if you are older or just no phsicly capible of doing stairs.
Best post ever XD
  by lirr42

Tadman wrote:I had to look this one up, I'm a Chicago resident so I know next to nothing about NYCTA. It appears the Rockaway lines are a inverted-T shape. It also appears to front a beach on the Atlantic Ocean, with lots of highrise towers on the beach. Are these considered "the projects" or a housing project of some other sort? Around here we had a lot of projects but they were torn down in the last ten years, projects are actually a bit of a rarity in town these days (some still exist near CTA's lower-63rd yard).
Yeah, there were several public housing projects built following World War II in that area, but some recent efforts have been attempting to "revitalize" that area, but not much has gotten off the ground.
Tadman wrote:...Also, if I were ever to find myself in NYC, could I ride this line out to the beach or is that a bad idea for a guy like me that doesn't find himself in rough areas very often?
From what I've been told, the (A) train goes through some rough areas in Brooklyn itself (like the East New York area), but the lower-number streets aren't too bad. I'd advise against venturing up to the Beach 100somethings unless you have to as that's kinda rough (so keep off the Rockaway Park shuttle)

Now don't get me wrong, there isn't repeated slayings or robberies on an half-hourly basis going on on these trains, they just traverse some rough areas. If you get on a train, mind your own bid'nis, and not have anything that screams "I'm a tourist! Come mug me!" on, then you should be able to return home with most of your limbs.
  by Tadman

Thanks. I try to keep the "I'm not a tourist" mentality in mind anywhere, especially rough areas. No sense in flashing a shiny watch or large camera when it's not a good idea...
  by R36 Combine Coach

The A/C do pass via Bed-Stuy and East NY (the sections around the Nostrand, Utica, Broadway Jct. and Euclid stations). During the day keep vigilant (as always). Ozone Park, Howard Beach (JFK) and Broad Channel are working middle class.

The Far Rockaway (Mott) end of the A is not the best area either. Although the LIRR is about a long block or so away, the area gets dicey.