Railroad Forums 

• MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdale

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1482374  by MattAmity90

geico wrote:
MattAmity90 wrote:Something interesting in configuration and track work during this revised week (August 6th-10th).

Right now they are straightening out the Southern track and finally connecting it with the new second track. I'm assuming they are probably doing it now or will next week or over the weekend at JS. The other is that Edward photographed TWO trains at the new Central Islip Interlocking with one on each track! I'm also assuming that we do indeed have the project completed from Ronkonkoma to the new CI Interlocking! That means the new track between KO and CI is in service, unless the train originated from Central Islip. Other than that most likely Central Islip is seeing both platforms in service with straight shots for both tracks.

What I think is serviceable.

1.) Only single-track service for Pinelawn, Wyandanch, Deer Park, and Brentwood. Then full double-track service from CI Interlocking through Central Islip to Ronkonkoma.
Actually it looks like you can go from Ronkonkoma to Deer Park at this point.
Did they connect the second track to the already existing track there as well at JS? I'm also guessing that this is hinting that the second track was connected at BRENT and put into service yesterday, along with the removal of the pedestal signals? If so, that means that for the first time in LIRR history that the Ronkonkoma Branch has two revenue tracks in service from Ronkonkoma straight through Central Islip, Brentwood, and Deer Park without having to worry about switching back and forth from two to one back to two down to one and back to two. This would leave the stretch from JS through Wyandanch, Pinelawn to FARM to be prepped.
 #1482557  by MattAmity90

Track has been connected at Brentwood, and say bye-bye to what WAS BRENT. I'm not sure if both tracks are in service, can someone clue me in on that? I'm also guessing that this weekend's outage will include the removal of all 3 pedestal signals there. They still have not removed the old CI2 signal gantry, so most likely those signal apparatuses will be removed.

KO1.jpg
KO2.jpg
 #1482691  by Head-end View

Great video! Thanks mwichten :-D

Those new pedestal signals have no class at all. Even SEPTA does it better. They use full-size signals with two heads on a standard mast with a flashing-green over red as the proceed-cab, so at least you can see it clearly from a distance.
 #1482694  by MattAmity90

Well, I guess that answers that question. It looks like leading up to that, since this was late in the day on Friday, they were prepping for the weekend outage and didn't have both tracks in service from Ronkonkoma to CI Interlocking. Also evident is that they did rail tie and rail replacement work East of Central Islip because you can see the new welded rail that has been laid along within or just outside the gauge. I saw photos from yesterday, the wye at FARM is out, they are taking the position light signals off the gantry at JS, and that's a shame because it could still be used.
 #1482835  by Head-end View

Another thing I noticed about the new signals. I've never before seen railroad signals with the red on top. The traditional arrangement was red on the bottom, hence the saying that the signal "drops" to the stop position much like the semaphore signals of yesteryear. And green would traditionally be on top.

So you wonder why they didn't set it up with a green/red/white configuration instead of red/green/white. :(
 #1482856  by MattAmity90

Edward posted new photos from yesterday of the work they did over the weekend. He only took photos at Brentwood and Deer Park.

1.) The pedestal signal to the South of the running track at BRENT has been knocked over, is still laying there but put out of its' misery.
2.) Brentwood is back to both tracks being in service.
3.) The second track in between the new CI Interlocking is in service to go along with the already existing track from BRENT to JS.
4.) JS is currently back to the switching protocol pre-double tracking, with the new MAIN 1 to MAIN 2 in service.

I'm not sure if they are using both tracks from the CI Interlocking Eastward through OCEAN and POND to Ronkonkoma. LIRR175's video from the 10th showed that the already existing track through Central Islip connected to the new second track was not being used. His M3 platformed at Platform B, went underneath the still-standing CI2 signal gantry, ran on the already existing track, switched to the new track using the new crossover OCEAN switch, then switched back to the Southern track at POND before finally pulling into Ronkonkoma on Track 2. The video concluded with his train coming to a complete stop and an awaiting Westbound M7 pulling into the station on Track 1 negotiating KO Interlocking. Either way we have double-track service from CI through Brentwood and Deer Park to JS.
 #1482962  by MACTRAXX

Head-end View wrote:Great video! Thanks mwichten :-D
MW: I will second that...This video shows well the status of the Ronkonkoma Branch as of 8/10.
I am impressed to see that this project is nearing completion...

What I am interested in particular is which platform westbound trains will be serving Central Islip.
As some know CI is the only 1987 station building that is on the south side-Platform B. With the
timetable beginning in September westbound trains may continue to serve Platform B by using the
south track out of Ronkonkoma and then crossing over at the new CI interlocking over to the north
track. All eastbound trains would serve the north side Platform A and then continue to KO on that
track. If all westbound trains were to use the "proper" north track at CI riders would have to use
either the overhead bridge or the Lowell Avenue crossing sidewalks at the east end to cross over.
This could be addressed by placing added TVMs and/or a new waiting room on the north side. I am
looking forward to see what the CI platform assignments are under the new September schedule...

MACTRAXX
 #1482972  by geico

MACTRAXX wrote:
Head-end View wrote:Great video! Thanks mwichten :-D
MW: I will second that...This video shows well the status of the Ronkonkoma Branch as of 8/10.
I am impressed to see that this project is nearing completion...

What I am interested in particular is which platform westbound trains will be serving Central Islip.
As some know CI is the only 1987 station building that is on the south side-Platform B. With the
timetable beginning in September westbound trains may continue to serve Platform B by using the
south track out of Ronkonkoma and then crossing over at the new CI interlocking over to the north
track. All eastbound trains would serve the north side Platform A and then continue to KO on that
track. If all westbound trains were to use the "proper" north track at CI riders would have to use
either the overhead bridge or the Lowell Avenue crossing sidewalks at the east end to cross over.
This could be addressed by placing added TVMs and/or a new waiting room on the north side. I am
looking forward to see what the CI platform assignments are under the new September schedule...

MACTRAXX
people are going to have to cross over regardless whether its in the AM or the PM. I think if they were going to build a waiting room on the north side they would have started it already.
 #1482978  by MattAmity90

The reason why the station building at Central Islip was put at Platform B was because of the close proximity to the tracks and LI Avenue, and the fact that the parking lot (the only parking area) is located to the South of the tracks. What I don't understand is when they added a second track at Central Islip station during the electrification, why didn't they automatically move most of the Westbound service to Platform A with Eastbound service to Platform B like they did at Brentwood and Deer Park?
 #1482980  by geico

MattAmity90 wrote:The reason why the station building at Central Islip was put at Platform B was because of the close proximity to the tracks and LI Avenue, and the fact that the parking lot (the only parking area) is located to the South of the tracks. What I don't understand is when they added a second track at Central Islip station during the electrification, why didn't they automatically move most of the Westbound service to Platform A with Eastbound service to Platform B like they did at Brentwood and Deer Park?
Probably to keep not having to move the switches at CI1 and and CI2 any more then they have to.....
Also it kept the amount of crossing over for the passengers to a minimum.
 #1482989  by MACTRAXX

geico wrote:
MattAmity90 wrote:The reason why the station building at Central Islip was put at Platform B was because of the close proximity to the tracks and LI Avenue, and the fact that the parking lot (the only parking area) is located to the South of the tracks. What I don't understand is when they added a second track at Central Islip station during the electrification, why didn't they automatically move most of the Westbound service to Platform A with Eastbound service to Platform B like they did at Brentwood and Deer Park?
Probably to keep not having to move the switches at CI1 and and CI2 any more then they have to.....
Also it kept the amount of crossing over for the passengers to a minimum.

MA90 and Geico - Some history and corrections about Central Islip's LIRR Station:

The Central Islip station move back in the middle 1980s was accomplished solely by acquiring
property from the Central Islip School District to allow adequately sized parking facilities to be
constructed. The parking lot was previously an athletic field for the Francis J. O'Neill Elementary
School. The old station location (where the MTA Police District 1 stationhouse is today) was clearly
not adequate for any electrification expansion and needed to be moved half a mile eastward.

During the electrification the LIRR decided to retain in new form the Central Islip siding by not
only constructing a new track to replace what was the old siding it was decided to build a north
side platform paralleling Suffolk Avenue to allow trains to platform at CI in both directions. This
addition was a good strategic move by the LIRR knowing that ultimately double track would be
built - finally now 30 1/2 years later.

The main reason most trains serve Platform B at Central Islip is because the parking facilities and
building are as mentioned on the south side exclusively. Shifting all westbound trains over to serve
Platform A is going to require all riders to cross over using the overhead bridge near the center of
the platform or use the sidewalk at the Lowell Avenue crossing coming from the parking lot or the
station building. Platform A should minimum have at least one TVM added at one of the shelters
if westbound trains are to be shifted over to the so-called "proper" track...

I do agree that using the switches at both CI1 and CI2 sparingly was a prime reason that Platform
A had limited scheduled service - with the new crossover configuration I am wondering if all trains
will "crisscross" between tracks allowing westbound trains to continue to serve Platform B and for
eastbounds to use Platform A and then continuing on to Ronkonkoma using the "opposite" track...

The Ronkonkoma Branch of MY youth (late 1960s through the early 1980s) is long gone and as far
as I am concerned disappeared along with the Hicksville-Ronkonkoma Electrification mid to late 80s.
Looking back at the diesel trains and old infrastructure - "Those were the Days" (the theme song of
the famous 1970s-early 1980s TV show "All in the Family") brings back plenty of LIRR memories.

MACTRAXX
 #1483005  by MattAmity90

In my youth (1990-2008) so much has changed, obviously due to technology and technological upgrades, but it also needed to be done. The Ronkonkoma Branch of my youth is somewhat changed because for a long time I was hoping they would double-track it and I could see it. Seeing Wyandanch the way it is now, I can't fathom it. One shock I do have when it comes to the Ronkonkoma Branch is the fact that they didn't start this project sooner such as maybe 15 years ago to mark the beginning of the 21st-century. The money wasn't there I guess, mostly due to the M7's being rolled out from the contract they signed in 1999 to replace the M1 cars.

For the first time we have two fully-functional serviceable electrified tracks straight from Ronkonkoma to Deer Park, and I hope they are using both. Technically the double-track project portion from Ronkonkoma to JS is officially completed.
 #1483006  by geico

MattAmity90 wrote:In my youth (1990-2008) so much has changed, obviously due to technology and technological upgrades, but it also needed to be done. The Ronkonkoma Branch of my youth is somewhat changed because for a long time I was hoping they would double-track it and I could see it. Seeing Wyandanch the way it is now, I can't fathom it. One shock I do have when it comes to the Ronkonkoma Branch is the fact that they didn't start this project sooner such as maybe 15 years ago to mark the beginning of the 21st-century. The money wasn't there I guess, mostly due to the M7's being rolled out from the contract they signed in 1999 to replace the M1 cars.

For the first time we have two fully-functional serviceable electrified tracks straight from Ronkonkoma to Deer Park, and I hope they are using both. Technically the double-track project portion from Ronkonkoma to JS is officially completed.
They are still parking MOW equipment on the South track in the area between Ronkonkoma station and Ocean Avenue. There are no "BARRICADE" signs up so I would guess the track is in official service. Eastbound trains are still doing the mambo during PM rush. North side Deer Park, North Side Brentwood, North Side CI (Or south side, seems to vary on day) and then back and forth at Ronkonkoma.
 #1483007  by grobtech

MattAmity90 wrote:In my youth (1990-2008) so much has changed, obviously due to technology and technological upgrades, but it also needed to be done. The Ronkonkoma Branch of my youth is somewhat changed because for a long time I was hoping they would double-track it and I could see it. Seeing Wyandanch the way it is now, I can't fathom it. One shock I do have when it comes to the Ronkonkoma Branch is the fact that they didn't start this project sooner such as maybe 15 years ago to mark the beginning of the 21st-century. The money wasn't there I guess, mostly due to the M7's being rolled out from the contract they signed in 1999 to replace the M1 cars.

One thing that enabled this was $300,000,000 in Sandy money. The LIRR allocated this federal money towards the second track through what it called “South Shore Resilliance”. Basically using the logic that if the south shore line is compromised the LIRR can still provide service on the main line.