Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by truck6018

It seems that everyone forgets about all the years (7) of zero fare increases in Connecticut while their NY counterparts had regular increases.
  by Tommy Meehan

I don't like fare increases either. In fact for the first time in about thirty years there are times I drive to the subway rather than take MNR to Manhattan. Usually when I have two or three family members going with me because I can save up to fifty bucks. I'm not one of the Rockefellers, for me that's a lot of cash.
truck6018 wrote:It seems that everyone forgets about all the years (7) of zero fare increases in Connecticut while their NY counterparts had regular increases.
That's a big part of the problem. That's known as 'back loading.' In other words, you enjoy seven years of stable fares but then you get hit with a lot of fare increases in a short time.

In 1993 a monthly from Stamford to GCT cost about $185. Next year it will be approximately $292. That's a sixty percent rise in twenty years. Is that a lot? Yes. Is it too much? I don't know. Guess how much the consumer price index has gone up over those twenty years? Right. Sixty percent. Here.
  by theozno

Tommy Meehan wrote:I don't like fare increases either. In fact for the first time in about thirty years there are times I drive to the subway rather than take MNR to Manhattan. Usually when I have two or three family members going with me because I can save up to fifty bucks. I'm not one of the Rockefellers, for me that's a lot of cash.
truck6018 wrote:It seems that everyone forgets about all the years (7) of zero fare increases in Connecticut while their NY counterparts had regular increases.
That's a big part of the problem. That's known as 'back loading.' In other words, you enjoy seven years of stable fares but then you get hit with a lot of fare increases in a short time.

In 1993 a monthly from Stamford to GCT cost about $185. Next year it will be approximately $292. That's a sixty percent rise in twenty years. Is that a lot? Yes. Is it too much? I don't know. Guess how much the consumer price index has gone up over those twenty years? Right. Sixty percent. Here.
Look at the CPI in the last 18 months, it has gone flat and down some months with only a 1-2% increase. That should tell ya deflation is actually happening.