Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by jetfan

A quick question regarding the ends of the MP72 Cab cars. Do both ends of the car have the round windows? or are the windows only on one side and the other side is solid, the same as a trailer end would be? Thank you for your time.

by RPM2Night

Damn, doesn't look like it would be easy to see out those windows lol.

by RetiredLIRRConductor

You know, i worked the darn things when I first hired on, but that was 34 years ago.
I think there were controls on both ends of the car, but I dont remember.
I remember working a westbound from west hempstead, and we got stoned ( rocks thrown at us) just west of westwood station.
One of the rocks came through the engineers window, and hit him on the bridge of the nose.
He was wearing safety glasses and they broke in half, but he was not injured.
There were fold down seats for the engineers, but they were uncomfortable, and most engineers opted to stand while operating the train.
They had to stand on the closed trap over the steps while operating, and the cabs were not heated that well in the winter, and had no air in the summer. They were very drafty. In the summer, most engineers opened the door above the trap, and ran that way, as seen in the photo above, allowing a breeze to come in. Hey liquid camphor, share with us what it was like to run them.

by rrbob

Nice picture! Both ends of the cars were the same. Both ends had controls and windows.

Bob K

by rrbob

Nice picture. Both ends the car were the same (controllers and windows).

Bob K

by de402

cleanest LIRR nose i've ever seen.. did they have the ads back then or duct tape to keep stuff together?

by Liquidcamphor

Conductor I think you summed it up already. To add to your post, I remember in the winter with that cheesy heater they had, half of my legs would be hot (next to the heater) and the other half freezing. The seat was pretty much a 2x4 covered with about a millimeter of foam and sitting on it, you had to reach foward to hold the handles. That's why we stood while we ran. The cab wasn't insulated and in areas where they had a lot of crossings, you were blowing that whistle constantly which gave us a headache.

You had "setup" points when to apply the brakes similar to operating diesel trains and the acceleration wasn't nearly as good as the M1's. If I remember, the MAS for them was 60mph. Maybe I'm wrong, it's been awhile. Some guys liked the MP75's better. I didn't care either way, I loved the idea of running a beat up contraption.

The technology leap from the 72's to the M1's was similar to the "old" diesels to the new C3's.

by UN Block

Famous builder's photo of the MP72c. Even though it's black & white, you can see that, as built new, the roof is black, the sides AND end sheets are "Goodfellow" gray and ONLY the storm door is orange. They, of course, didn't stay that way for long as the end sheets got painted orange pretty quickly.
  by keyboardkat

The reason the MP-72s had slower acceleration than the M-1s was, they only had two 250-hp motors

The M-1s had four 160-hp motors
  by keyboardkat

It's nine years later and I'm correcting my post. The MP-72s had four 100hp traction motors. It was the MP-54s that had the two 250hp motors.
There was a series of books about the passenger cars built by Pullman-Standard a few years ago. With respect to the LIRR MP-72 family, the book was chock full of misinformation. It said that the MP-72s and MP-75s were single-end cab cars, which of course was incorrect. They were double-ended. Then there were the MT-72s and -75s, which were cabless motor cars, and T-72s, which were motorless trailer cars.
The book also referred to the ASC acknowledger pedal as a "dead man's pedal," which of course it is not. Someone didn't do their homework there.
  by frankie

I bet it was a pain in the neck for the engineer during rush hour with passengers pouring in and out of that door. Where did he retreat until all was cleared?

Frankie
  by Kelly&Kelly

Engineers kept the vestibule door between the seating area and the head platform locked. Most also closed the platform door on the head car when the train was loading. Those boarding the head car had to walk back to the rear platform of that car. An exception would be on light trains when the head end doors would be open for ventilation with only the chains hung across the front.
  by nyandw

[quote="de402"]cleanest LIRR nose i've ever seen..

It's a LIRR valuation photo as the date indicates. Provided by Tim Darnell info: MP72C 2501-2522 1955 Pull- Std. Thus , brand new. :-)

"... did they have the ads back then or duct tape to keep stuff together?..."

Please explain??
  by MACTRAXX

K&K:

After reading how engineers secured the head vestibule during operation of these MP72 MU cars did these cars have a shade that was pulled down
reading "NO ADMITTANCE" over the window on the vestibule/car interior door? The reason I ask is that the Silverliner Two cars built in 1963 that
had this feature - those cars had a round window-did the MP72s have the same feature noting the three round windows on the front end?
The Silverliner Two cars were built by Budd for both the PRR/PC and RDG and served into SEPTA for 49 years of service until 2012.
Was this removed when these cars were converted to diesel service in the early to mid 1970s? When these cars were overhauled in the
late 1980s by M-K these door shades were removed.

Steve:

What de402 means is that at some point during the 1980s the LIRR switched to stick-on advertisements on equipment because the card ads
were being removed for card games being a good example. During the 80s the LIRR began to use silver ducktape on MU equipment to fix minor
damages that were not serious enough to require a shop visit.

MACTRAXX
  by nyandw

Ah, I was aware of both , but didn't make the connection... :-)