Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#839422  by MBTA1052

I would be sweet to see a JT42 design for MPI's latest design HSP-46 not much info. is available for this engine!!
 #839454  by F40CFan

Tadman wrote:I've always thought the best EMD unit suitable for passenger these days is the export JT42. It's smaller and lighter weight, so it would fit anywhere a passenger train has to go in the country, it has a rear cab that could be turned into an HEP locker, and the C-C trucks could go A1A-A1A. Best part is, it's essentially an off-the-shelf piece using SD70 components in a different body.
Good point, but they have to do something about the front end. Way to boxy looking.
 #839580  by MBTA1052

I was looking at China's new JT56Ace engine I must say it looks nice but a bit boxy. I just hope if MPI builds a engine like it...Please no Inventer HEP!!
 #839639  by Tadman

I was thinking of suitability based on weight and mechanicals, not so much looks. Besides, it'd be a perfect ringer for the Rock's E6b...
 #839715  by F40CFan

You're right about the suitability, but even if they stuck a modified winnebago nose on it, it would be an improvement. the original looks like it has a widow's peak.
 #839957  by Fan Railer

MBTA1052 wrote:I was looking at China's new JT56Ace engine I must say it looks nice but a bit boxy. I just hope if MPI builds a engine like it...Please no Inventer HEP!!
why not? inverter HEP units are actually more efficient than running them off a separate engine, just make the prime mover more powerful to make up for the wheel HP loss. plus, then you can actually HEAR the prime mover instead of that noisy V12 running at 1800 rpm...
 #840088  by MBTA1052

I'm just saying figuring I live around the MBTA and we have like 18 Screamers (F40s) that work off Inverter HEP that has dragged them into the ground and it's kind of hard to tell what throttle the engine is in when running in passenger service. Plus, I would figure it does get tiring to just hear the same sound for more than 20 minutes!! :-D
 #840150  by Fan Railer

MBTA1052 wrote:I'm just saying figuring I live around the MBTA and we have like 18 Screamers (F40s) that work off Inverter HEP that has dragged them into the ground and it's kind of hard to tell what throttle the engine is in when running in passenger service. Plus, I would figure it does get tiring to just hear the same sound for more than 20 minutes!! :-D
last time i checked F40's don't use inverter HEP's; they use alternator driven HEP's, so they're prime movers are always running at notch 8 (900 rpm), unless they got rebuilt and i wasn't aware of it, but i doubt it. True inverter HEP units allow the prime mover to idle around notch 3 (480-620 rpm)...
 #840207  by doepack

Fan Railer wrote:
MBTA1052 wrote:I'm just saying figuring I live around the MBTA and we have like 18 Screamers (F40s) that work off Inverter HEP that has dragged them into the ground and it's kind of hard to tell what throttle the engine is in when running in passenger service. Plus, I would figure it does get tiring to just hear the same sound for more than 20 minutes!! :-D
last time i checked F40's don't use inverter HEP's; they use alternator driven HEP's, so they're prime movers are always running at notch 8 (900 rpm), unless they got rebuilt and i wasn't aware of it, but i doubt it. True inverter HEP units allow the prime mover to idle around notch 3 (480-620 rpm)...
Correct, and Metra was the first (and perhaps still the only) agency to order the -3S version of this unit. But the projected fuel savings was what drove the decision, although that really didn't pan out in the long run, due to the chronic driveshaft and main generator failures early on caused by excessive vibrations. So, they decided to rebuild them so that HEP is provided in notch 8, just like the screamers (F40's). Don't know if that's still ongoing or complete yet...

I expounded on this a while back, so here's a little more if interested...
 #840221  by MBTA1052

I wonder why METRA is the only transit company that has -3S engines??
 #840228  by byte

I don't think any of the MP36s are getting constant-speed prime mover modifications. The "usual suspects" on the Rock are still just like they always were.
 #840422  by F40CFan

I haven't heard any constant-speed MPs yet on the MILW-West and we have most of the junk-piles.
 #842249  by F40CFan

Its funny, last night as I walked my dogs, a train powered by one of the boom-boxes was leaving the station. When the engineer blew the horn for the road crossings I could of sworn it sounded like; CRAAAP CRAAAP crap CRAAAP!
 #842738  by vxla

Were the -3S problems not found early enough to have been covered under warranty?
 #844447  by F40CFan

vxla wrote:Were the -3S problems not found early enough to have been covered under warranty?
The way I understand it, and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable could correct me, for the first year, Wabtec folks practically camped out at Western Ave. trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. Now, I believe, Metra is on its own. That may explain why the original F40PHs are being rebuilt rather than replaced. Too bad that wisdom didn't come in time to save the F40Cs.