Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1539971  by videobruce

I just watched this movie (which I never heard of before) on Filmrise (free streaming service, but only in SD quality aka DVD) and was amazed at what I heard & saw around 1 hour & 20 or so minutes in. The movie itself took place in 1951 but shot in the summer of 1986 so Amtrak was still using GCT with Metro North. If I understand correctly the MTA was running operations (more or less), but I read different names (holding companies ?) as ownership of the property. Thew release date was 1988.

What set this movie apart from others that I've seen that used GCT in their movie was it was not just shot in the concourse or a station platform track(s), but in areas above concourse level. Corridors, elevators, stairs probably not used or open to the traveling public. Especially chase scenes around the interior of the walkway for maintenance for the windows well above the concourse level. In 1987, there wasen't a lot of computer animation available (I believe) so most of this seemed to be the real thing.

To the point the following; the train name that was used was the "Chicago Express" which obviously was made up, but the kicker was the train number; #25. Now, why would they use the number of the 20th Century with a made up train name? In fact, they even rolled out the red carpet at platform level which was the exact design of the carpet for the Century, but with the 'Chicago Express' name on it. The equipment used were labeled over streamline cars w/ NYC names and there were 2 'motors' handling cars (I believe) one with #100 on it a another with 278 which I recognized as a correct number for that equipment. I couldn't make out the exact model due to camera angle and lighting (or lack of). There was a chase scene at track level with equipment moving (I always love when Hollywood does that crap) where the girl was running between tacks & trains in heels.

I specifically watched the credits to see who, or whom was credited for these scenes and was amazed the no railroad, operator or owner of CGT was even mentioned. Nothing.

BUT, the NRHS, the Mohawk & Hudson chapter, and 'Luxury Rails - American Zephyr' were listed.

So my question is can anyone fill in additional details about the shooting of this movie and the equipment, namely members of those organizations, hopefully that are members in the forum. And mostly why wasn't the 20th Century name used when it's number was???
Last edited by videobruce on Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 #1539973  by videobruce

BTW, this had Hitchcock's style in it all the way.
Here is something on the movie;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House ... oll_Street

AFA ownership of GCT; this happened on April 15;
https://rew-online.com/mta-takes-owners ... -terminal/
 #1539975  by NYCRRson

"walkway for maintenance for the windows well above the concourse level"

I think you are referring to the large arched windows on the East and West side of the main concourse. There are walkways "inside" those windows, there are actually two windows, one that is exposed to the outside weather and another one that faces the concourse.

Those where not solely for maintenance, they are a regular path between RR offices above both sides of the concourse. There are a few photo's around of office workers crossing over them. It was a shorter path than going all the way down to the concourse, crossing over and then going back up to the offices.

I had a chance to cross over them during public tours that were offered in the late 1970's. They were wide enough for two people to pass each other and had railings along both sides.
 #1540038  by videobruce

I correct the typo and updated my 1st post. :wink:

Unfortunately, I have never been there, but I am well familiar with Buffalo Central Terminal. I recognized a lot of the design of those corridors, stairs & elevators from the building here built 16 years later.

I took a much closer look at this footage, as to those walkways. Yes, there is that set between the inner & outer windows, but there is also a access walkway outside the inner windows which is what I was referring to.

There were two signs of note by the elevators (manual operating), one was "Station Master one flight up" and the other "Tower B". The Twr B caught my attention. Is that referring to a interlocking tower or part of the Terminal building?
 #1540041  by videobruce

The passenger cars used apparently were from that Luxury Rails with a NYC sign added to the side of the car. The one car it was very plain to see since the sign was baldly bulged out in two places. Real sloppy.

I came across this link as to the credits, but still nothing for the MTA, Metro North etc.;
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095333/companycredits

This "Luxury Rails Inc.", I can't find anything on them. Anyone know anything about them? No one from the M&H Chapter in this forum?
 #1540052  by NYCRRson

There were several interlocking towers associated with GCT. Tower "B" handled the lower level tracks where they came together before merging with the upper level tracks. Tower "B" was below street level around about 49th street. I believe Tower "A" was above tower "B" and did the same function for the upper level tracks. In the very early years these towers were visible above the tracks, later buildings covered up the tracks of GCT.

These were also called "signal stations".

Lots of info here;

http://www.gricer.com/gct/gct-intro.html
 #1540074  by videobruce

I was aware of Tower A & B, I was wondering if the sign referenced that or something else. I was surprised to see a sign like that in the building thou, I have no idea where that sign was where that scene was shot.
I didn't know the designation of the 1st Tower. Was Twr C the 'coach yard' (or similar)?