• Movement of Friends of 35 equipment today (3/27/06)

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by emfinite

Passing by Quentin Roosevelt Blvd in Garden City today around 5:15pm, I noticed two MP15s dragging all of Friends of 35's equipment out of the Bus depot siding. All equipment except for C-50 was moved off of that siding to the end of the Garden Mitchel Secondary by Endo Blvd. Anyone know why? The crew also left the C-50 on the Bus siding, but near the switch off the Secondary, not in its original location.

Joe

by RPM2Night

Wow, that's interesting. That must have been something to see. I wonder if they plan on removing any of that track. Did you happen to have your trusty camera handy? :) I gotta go to Fed-Ex near the GC Firehouse, so I'll swing by the secondary afterwards and check it out to see if anything's going on.

by emfinite

I'm in computer class right now so I didn't have time to run home and grab a camera, but I did get shots on my camera phone.

Joe
Last edited by emfinite on Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

by RRChef

The end of the secondary isn't exactly the most secure location. I hope this is only a temporary situation otherwise those pieces are going to get trashed.

by RPM2Night

Yeah, I drove past there. They are in an increadibly remote location. I doubt that anyone at the bus terminal would say anything if vandals were going to town on the equipment when it was parked on the bus siding, but it would probably atleast deter any nonsense knowing that there were eyes on you. I don't know about it anymore now that they're at the end of the secondary.

by Long Island 7285

Driving by via commerical ave, I noticed the board in the window on the hack was falling in? was that vandles or was that just rot makeing it fall?

that would have been a nice excursion. though "real short"

by Mr GP10

Some friends of mine and myself included were out by the Mitchell field bus depot this past saturday evening. There were like 2 cabooses 2 passenger cars and a boxcar. I wonder where this train is going to? and why it is being moved? Mybe they are going to some other location?

by Long Island 7285

the only reason I can conceive of the move is that the RR will be ripping the tracks on commerical ave up.
If the above is incorrect.
Maybe FO35 will be doing some work and wanted the cars in an area thay can work w/o getting in any one's way. The cars are actually "platformed" at Mitchell feild. (now only if 35 could have been there, 'running') :-D

by RPM2Night

I drove along the dirt road and noticed that there's also an RPO or a baggage car there. Was that stored along the bus shop track along with the two coaches, box car and two hacks, or did that come from somewhere else?

by RRChef

Yeah it's part of 35's collection. It's a Pennsy class BM-62 Baggage Mail Combine. I think it's # 468

by Long Island 7285

You notice the remains of the platform?

I think that BM-62 was in LIC for some time.

by Lirr168

Long Island 7285 wrote:I think that BM-62 was in LIC for some time.
I believe both of the LIC BM cars, the one in the yard and the one by the East River Tunnels, were scrapped a few months ago. Is this another one I am forgetting about?

by Frank

Long Island 7285 wrote:You notice the remains of the platform?

I think that BM-62 was in LIC for some time.
The remains of what platform?

by RPM2Night

I drove past there lastnight and they have moved the cars again. They initially put them at the end of the track closer to that street that leads to the main north parking lot at NCC, but then they ended up going back and pulling them up, maybe about 1000 ft east of the book store crossing.

by Long Island 7285

The rails are "still" there to "endo blvd" I was able to scrape up some gravel and found the rail heads. I though it was all gone.