• Moveable bridges on the LIRR

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by lirrmike

I got a few question about moveable bridges on the LIRR.
The bridge that leads to Long Beach, who operates it? Does the bridge tender on the Long Beach Ave. bridge next to it operate it or does an operator have to come out and raise and lower it?
Next, the 2 bridges in Long Island City, do they still operate? If not, when was the last time and what did they open for? Also did the operator at ‘M’ cabin operate both bridges? Were they manned 24/7 years ago?
Thanks all, I don’t know if there were anymore moveable bridges on the LIRR, but I’m sure someone will fill me in!

Mike

by Dave Keller

Many years ago, the old "Lead" cabin at Reynold's Channel was in control of the swing bridge.

The operator at "M" cabin probably only operated the bridge on the Montauk cutoff. I would think that Dutch Kills "drawbridge" (actually swingbridge) had its own operator as there was a cabin there as well.

Here's some data:

“BC” CABIN
BROAD CHANNEL ON ROCKAWAY BEACH BRANCH (BRIDGE TENDER’S CABIN ON W. SIDE OF TRACKS AND S. OF STATION. LOCATED ON SWING BRIDGE. IN USE ON 1917 MAP. CLOSED: 19 ? WHEN BROAD CHANNEL SWINGBRIDGE WAS CONTROLLED FROM “HJ” TOWER, LATER
“DRAW.”)

“BROAD CHANNEL DRAWBRIDGE”
SWING BRIDGE ON S. SIDE OF CHANNEL. (ORIGINALLY CONTROLLED BY “BC” CABIN. LATER CONTROLLED BY TOWER #101, WHICH BECAME “HJ” AND “DRAW.” INTERLOCKING AND INTERLOCKING STATION OUT OF SVC: 5/23/50 WITH ABANDONMENT OF JAMAICA BAY TRESTLE AFTER FIRE OF 1950.)

“D” CABIN: 1
DOUGLASTON DRAWBRIDGE (SWINGBRIDGE) (S. SIDE OF TRACKS BUILT ON RECLAIMED W. EDGE OF ALLEY CREEK. IN SERVICE: 9/1911 – 1924)

“D” CABIN: 2
DOUGLASTON DRAWBRIDGE )SWINGBRIDGE) (N. SIDE OF TRACKS, ON E. SIDE OF ALLEY CREEK. IN SERVICE: 1924-1926. AFTER 1926 BECAME
BRIDGE TENDER’S CABIN. RENAMED “DOUGLASTON DRAWBRIDGE.”

“DB” CABIN:1
DUTCH KILLS DRAWBRIDGE – L. I. CITY (FORMERLY TOWER #2. RENAMED IN 1907. OUT OF SERVICE:10/1915)

“DB” CABIN:2
DUTCH KILLS DRAW BRIDGE - L.I. CITY (OPENED: 10/1915 ON N. SIDE OF TRACKS AND E. OF DRAWBRIDGE)

“DOUGLASTON DRAWBRIDGE”
DOUGLASTON (FORMERLY “D” CABIN. INTERLOCKING AND INTERLOCKING STATION OUT OF SVC: 7/6/48. CABIN RAZED: 1950.)

“DRAW” TOWER
SWING BRIDGE - HAMMEL (PREVIOUSLY “HJ” TOWER) (WEST SIDE OF TRACKS AND SOUTH [RAILROAD EAST] OF CHANNEL. DESTROYED BY TRAIN DERAILMENT 1946)

“DRAW” CABIN
SWING BRIDGE - HAMMEL (BUILT 1946, EAST SIDE OF TRACKS AND SOUTH [RAILROAD EAST] OF CHANNEL. OUT OF SVC: 10/3/55)

“DRAW” TOWER
HAMMEL (ELEVATED BLDG. AT NEW LOCATION) (BUILT 1950)

“EC” TOWER
GOOSE CREEK ON ROCKAWAY BEACH BR. (W. SIDE OF TRACKS AND 700’ SOUTH OF STATION, LOCATED ON JAMAICA BAY TRESTLE. FORMERLY TOWER #95. OUT OF SERVICE: 19 ? )

“ER” TOWER
THE RAUNT ON ROCKAWAY BEACH BR. (1300’ SOUTH OF STATION, ON JAMAICA BAY TRESTLE)

“HB” INTERLOCKING (R.C.)
HOWARD BEACH (GONE BY 1941)

“HJ” TOWER
HAMMEL (BROAD CHANNEL) SWING BRIDGE (HAMMEL JCT.) (WEST SIDE OF TRACKS AND SOUTH OF CHANNEL. FORMERLY TOWER #101. RENAMED IN 1907. RENAMED “DRAW”: 5/1/37.)

“LEAD” CABIN
REYNOLD’S CHANNEL SWING BRIDGE ON LONG BEACH BRANCH (PREVIOUSLY “WL” [WRECK LEAD] CABIN. DEMOLISHED: 1980s)

“LEAD” TOWER
DRAWBRIDGE – LONG BEACH (BUILT 1980s AT REYNOLD’S CHANNEL)

“M” CABIN
FREIGHT DRAWBRIDGE OVER DUTCH KILLS CREEK, L. I. CITY - MONTAUK CUT-OFF, BLISS – YARD A SECONDARY TRACKS (BUILT 1908-09 ON S. SIDE OF TRACKS AND EAST END OF BRIDGE)

“WD” TOWER
“WEST END TRESTLE” (HAMILTON BEACH) (E. SIDE OF TRACKS AND S. OF STATION. FORMERLY TOWER #93. RENAMED IN 1907. RENAMED “BEACH”: 5/1/37.)

“WL” TOWER
REYNOLDS CHANNEL ON LONG BEACH BRANCH. (WRECK LEAD: W. SIDE OF TRACKS AND N. OF CHANNEL. IN SERVICE: 1/15/27 – 7/8/31)

“WL” CABIN: 2
REYNOLD’S CHANNEL SWING BRIDGE – LONG BEACH (24’ EAST OF 1ST “WL” CABIN. IN SVC: 1934. RENAMED “LEAD”: 5/1/37.)

“WRECK LEAD” CABIN
SWING BRIDGE – LONG BEACH (PREVIOUSLY “WL”, LATER “LEAD” CABINS) (WEST SIDE OF TRACKS AT REYNOLD’S CHANNEL, FORMERLY WRECK LEAD CHANNEL.)

“WU” TOWER
THE RAUNT ON ROCKAWAY BEACH BR. (W. SIDE OF TRACKS AND 1300’ NORTH OF STATION, ON JAMAICA BAY TRESTLE. FORMERLY TOWER #96. IN SVC: BY 1906. RENAMED “WU” IN 1907. OUT OF SVC: 19 ? )

Dave Keller

by lirrmike

Now that's what I call a reply!!! Thanks Dave.

Mike

by Dave Keller

Hi Mike:

You're quite welcome! :-)

BTW: Strike the entry for "HB" interlocking at Howard Beach. That was remote controlled and therefore would have had no bridge controls.

I copied and pasted that one in error.

Dave Keller

by Clemuel

Wreck Lead Bridge which crosses Reynold's Channel is controlled by the Block Operator at Lead. The tower is manned around the clock, continuously. That operator also controls the switch at the end of Single Track and the motorized yard switches.

DB and Bliss are no longer manned and when necessary to open them a Building & Bridges mechanic along with an Electric Power & Light employee are called.

Clem
  by dukeoq

The bridge tender at Cabin M also operated the bridge at Dutch Kills draw.
Only a short walk from one to the other.
This was as it was in the 1960s and '70s. Probably the last time that there was anyone in attendance.
  by freightguy

Cabin M is also home to the marine fleet of the LIRR. In one of the shanties there is an official LIRR rowboat complete with life jackets. I guess this was for the bridge tender or whoever was there at the time. It takes a brave soul to go into the Dutch Kills in a rowboat.

For years if you were going to use the mainline/Montauk cutoff via the Montauk branch you would have to receive a C-card from Jay tower to pass a stop signal at Cabin M. They finally fixed this around 6 years ago. Now you only need one card to head up that way.

by Dave Keller

"Marine Fleet!" :wink:

I like that!

Dave Keller

P.S. And to think that people at one time safely fished in the creek!

by BMC

Actually there is a new book out in the "Images of America" series on Long Island City which has pictures of kids SWIMMING in the Dutch Kills.
"Kills" is dutch for river.

Even back then it was polluted, HORRENDOUS now. You can buy the book on Amazon or at Borders. Oh, and the rowboat was used by the LIC drill crew as a joke. Man, was I glad it wasn't leaking or they didn't tip over! We have the pictures to prove it.

JJ: It was crazy Mike D. (YM) and Jeff H. in the boat.

by trackml2

That rowboat was an addition around 1989. Regulations stated, (not a quote) a means of escape needed to be provided when work was performed on the bridge. I am not sure how it is today, but the bridge was in such terrible shape (operationally) the signal maintainer had to apply jumpers and had to ride out on the bridge when the bridge was swung open. They, I, were supposed to drag the boat to the waters edge each time. Fat chance.

by Dave Keller

During the latter part of the 19th century, Newtown Creek was home to one or more fishing camps and the surrounding area was full of wildlife.

Now you can almost walk across it on the floating filth.

A fine example of how the spread of industrialism in developing urban areas plus a lack of concern for any part of nature can destroy it totally. :(

Check Art Huneke's webpage on Penny Bridge:
http://www.arrts-arrchives.com/pennybridge.html

He's got a rare shot of the original Penny Bridge with men in a rowboat fishing next to it!! (and a rare train passing in the background!!!)

Dave Keller