Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Frank

I heard there used to be a station on the Harlem line at 138 Street that was known as Mott Haven at one time. The station was closed in the early 1970s when the M1As were put into service and the curve before the Harlem River Bridge was realigned. Is there any traces left of the station? I rode by there a number of times but there seems to be no remnants of the former station.
  by Noel Weaver

Even after the present Harlem River Lift Bridge was in service in the 1950's the 138th Street Station remained in service. What killed this station was the curve and the difficulty of building high level platforms there. There were three separate platforms, a center platform for tracks 1 and 2 and side platforms for tracks 3 and 4. A good number of trains stopped there too, especially on the Harlem but also on the Hudson. Nothing on the New Haven stopped there.
Noel Weaver
  by Otto Vondrak

Frank wrote:I heard there used to be a station on the Harlem line at 138 Street that was known as Mott Haven at one time. The station was closed in the early 1970s when the M1As were put into service and the curve before the Harlem River Bridge was realigned. Is there any traces left of the station? I rode by there a number of times but there seems to be no remnants of the former station.
Station was officially called "138th Street - The Bronx." The only remains are some decorative iron railings on top of the stone cut walls.

-otto-