• Motorcycle Parking....... Anyone?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by ecarfar

I don't know if this is the right place to post this question, but maybe someone can guide me in the right direction. I currently drive from Bellport to Massapequa and take the train from there to Penn. Gas prices are killing me so I'm thinking of using my motorcycle and parking it at either Patchogue or Ronkonkoma. Does anyone know what the LIRR motorcycle parking policies are? Are they considered cars? Do any of you actually see any motorcycles at the station (I don't at Massapequa)? Thanks so much for the help!

Ed

by emfinite

All that I can say before anyone else chimes in... Don't leave your motorcycle in Patchogue.

Joe

by ecarfar

OK, I'm game! Why not. Do they have a theft problem there? :(

by emfinite

Well there are many skels that walk the platforms and parking lots and I wouldn't want to leave my motorcycle there unattended if I owned one. I guess the same is true for any train station? I'm sure if you got a parking permit for a train station that they would let you park your motorcycle there-at your own risk.

Joe

by ecarfar

Yeah, i kind of assumed that. I guess you park anywhere at your own risk. I'll have to take a day off form work and scope out some stations and see if they have an area where a lot of cycles park. I DON'T want to park it all by it's lonesome self.

by Nasadowsk

I'm guessing this isn't much of a bike? Any decent sportbike or BMW or Harley wouldn't last a week unattended at one of those lots....

Heck, I get nervous enough leaving mine in my locked garage at my Apt...

http://users.rcn.com/nasadowsk/bike/bike04.jpg

Feel free to browse around the pics and ask questions, BTW...

by emfinite

I'm with you on that one! Nice bike, by the way...

Joe

by ecarfar

No! Not a bike like that, it's Honda rebel, 250cc. remember, gas mileage is key here. 70-90 mpg is typical. It's actually one of the least stolen bikes out there. Good, basic, cheap, reliable transportation. That's the goal.

by Dave Keller

I used to ride a Kawasaki 550 LTD.

Even though it wasn't the greatest bike, I certainly wouldn't want to leave it in a railroad parking lot for hours unattended. The bike may still be there once I got home, but any number of parts wouldn't.

Make a deal with someone residing near the station. See if they'll let you park your bike on their property for a fee.

Dave Keller

by ecarfar

That's an idea but it kinda defeats the purpose of trying to save money. What i'm hoping for is maybe an area where a lot of bikes are parked. Maybe near an area where a lot of people pass by. I'm also looking into one of those bike lockers, if the price is reasonable enough (the bike, of course, would have to fit!).
Last edited by ecarfar on Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Dave Keller

You ARE saving money . . . on the gas.

You would be paying a parking permit fee ANYWAY if you parked a car OR A BIKE in a municipal lot like Patchogue, Port Jeff, etc.

Very few LIRR station parking lots are free. Ronkonkoma is one, but the parking garage requires a fee. You could technically park free at Ronkonkoma and still have to walk 1/2 mile to get to the station!!!

If you paid someone an equivalent parking fee, you'd still be ahead of the game on the gas.

If you're looking for a TOTAL free meal . . . . walk to the station, or have someone drop you off.

Otherwise . . . . . fuggedaboudit!!

Dave Keller

by Lirr168

Dave Keller wrote: You would be paying a parking permit fee ANYWAY if you parked a car OR A BIKE in a municipal lot like Patchogue, Port Jeff, etc.

Very few LIRR station parking lots are free. Ronkonkoma is one, but the parking garage requires a fee. You could technically park free at Ronkonkoma and still have to walk 1/2 mile to get to the station!!!
Well, you could always take the gamble that that no one will be checking for parking permits. Many towns require some sort of resident sticker to park in station lots, but in my experience, the odds of actually getting caught without one are very small.

by ecarfar

Actually, most every station has a limited number of free parking spaces. Where I park now, in Massapequa, I park for free as a non-resident. I have to be in Manhattan early every day so I usually get a spot. When I used to commute from Ronkonkoma 10 years ago, I had to take a 6:40 AM train and got a spot right near the tracks. That's on the south side, which is still free. I wrote to Patchogue to ask them about parking there. I understand that the gas savings would be great. The motor cycle would get about double or triple the MPG of my car.

Still thinking about it though. Thanks to everyone for your input so far!
  by WILLIAM H. JONES

TRY CARROLL AVE AUTOMOTIVE, CARROLL AVE, 1/2 BLOCK NORTH OF THE STATION..OWNERS NAME IS NICK..HE MAY BE RENTING PARKING SPOTS.. YOU COULD MENTION MY NAME.

by ecarfar

Thanks William!