Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by trackml2

I know this is easy for all the employees, leave this one for the non-employee buffs:

Your the engineer on a 5 car train in Montauk. Get that train to Greenport without changing ends or making a reverse move.

After you complete this move, do it again a via a different route.

by NIMBYkiller

Run up to Hillside yard via the Babylon line. According to Hagstrom, there is a track that runs from Hillside down to the Babylon line(the routing that goes via St Albans).

Comming back....I'm not sure if this track is still connected, but run out to about HPA via the main, then use one of the 2 tracks that goes up and over the main line and reconnects with the lower montauk in the opposite direction.

by trackml2

I like your second answer. Your first is rather vague. You are on the right track (no pun intended) but a little more info is needed to be considered. Good job.

by trackml2

your second answer involes using the westward freight track. OUT OF SERVICE at this time. So technically that way is not possible but theoretically it is one of two answers.

by Long Island 7285

I would like to simply add, that its simply too dam long and not feisable to costomers.

the above move could be made via the eastport to mannorville branch using "Y"' on both ends of the branch, thats both fast and ecnomical to the eastenders.

but thats still a dream so let me think of another.

by trackml2

1st any Y move involves a reverse move, prohibited by the rules of the question 2nd, it is trivia not a viable travel option. But thanks for the input

by Long Island 7285

I was not aware that running stright through a "Y" in this situation would be considered a reverse move. there is no change in reverser position at all. leaves the montauk at east leg of the "Y" then joins the main at the east leg of the "Y" up there. not "reversing" any thing, they the leade engine is faceing east now, the train was not fully "reversed or "turned" to make this move, just stright running. discribe how according to the rules will this require a reverse move or special orders if thre is any?

would a train leaving jamaica for WH then heading back to jamaica via Garden be considered a reverse move also?

by Dave Keller

Use of the former wye at either the Manorville end or the Eastport end of that branch was not considered a reverse move.

There was no backing up required.

Also, the depot at Manorville had a platform that wrapped inside the wye, so the train heading from Montauk to Greenport could stop on the east leg of the wye, discharge passengers, then continue on to Greenport.

Coming the other way, the train could leave Manorville (from either direction), hit the wye at Eastport and continue westward on the Montauk branch.

No backing up. No reverse moves required.

Dave Keller

by GP38

Speaking of the Manorville-Eastport Branch....
I went to a party at a friend's house in Manorville this past weekend. Behind his house is a Brookhaven town "parkland area". Through this park, is a long straight trail. We decided to walk this "trail" during the course of the party. Along the way, I noticed all kinds of coal lying everywhere. Then all of a sudden it hit me, it was the old Eastport-Manorville branch! It was quite a hike (I was glad I replenished my beer before starting the "hike")!
ANyway, the only things that really define it as a RR ROW is the coal lying around and the straightness. Funny, before it even hit me, it "felt" like a RR ROW, I can't explain it. Then I said "duh" to myself when I finally figured it out!

Anyway, does anyone know if the entire ROW is a trail? I don't know if it is an "official" rail trail, but it certainly is trail, at least for the portion I walked anyway. Who owns the ROW and is it for the most part "intact" (meaning it hasn't been sold off for private homes in parts, such as the Evergreen Branch).

by Dave Keller

As I remember, it was just an opening between the trees when you got to the LIE and the same was visible from Sunrise Highway.

I also remember seeing the raised embankment at Eastport where the line once crossed Old Country Road via bridge (it was originally at grade).

Dave Keller

by trackml2

My question refers to todays railroad. Daves answer no longer applies although it was educational.

The use of any wye in exsistence today on the lirr does involve changing the position of the reverser. A track in the form of a "Y" which leads from a main line and is used in lieu of a turntable for turning engines, cars and trains around. Impossible to complete without changing direction (prohibited by the rules) on anything but a loop track.

by trackml2

would a train leaving jamaica for WH then heading back to jamaica via Garden be considered a reverse move also?
The West Hempsted ( I assume that is what you were refering to as WH and NOT West Hampton, which is the designation there) branch and Hempstead branch are no longer linked.

by robertwa

Chris GP38,

Yes, a lot of the old ROW is now a Suffolk Co. nature trail

Manorville/Eastport Branch

by Long Island 7285

The use of any wye in exsistence today on the lirr does involve changing the position of the reverser. A track in the form of a "Y" which leads from a main line and is used in lieu of a turntable for turning engines, cars and trains around. Impossible to complete without changing direction (prohibited by the rules) on anything but a loop track.
Yes that is correct and i did not mean turning a train around natural if the train goes cabcar into the east leg of the "Y" then it has to go engine out of the west end of the"Y" then cabcar back east. and the above that i just discribed IS a REVERSE MOVE and IT DOES require MOVING the REVERSER 2 times.

Dave understood exatly what i ment. when i mention the East port to manor branch origionally. i know you are looking to get TODAYs answer but we got to clear this up.

and YES "WM" does not connect to "GARDEN" any more, but that too is not a REVERSE move, if you can leave "jamaica" and return to "jamaica" WITH OUT moving the reverser out of "FWD" then you did not make a "Reverse move" that would be prohibited by the rules.

a reverse move is only when the train moves in the "reverse" direction my moving the reverser. a ballon loop is an exception.

Correct me if im wrong. but I dont see how the move from MY to GY via the east legs of a Y in eastport and mannorville require a reverse move.

and there is a "Y" track via the Montauk #1track that goes through Holban/HMC and heads east. tho going through a yard. would this be the move you are looking for?

by SK2MY

Cmon guys! Stick with the original question. You guys are living in the past!!!!!! Stay on topic with TODAY'S RAILROAD!!!