Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Paul

These arent the best pictures in the world, however, still part of LIRR's history. The b&w print is the only existing one left from my days in high school photgraphy class. Taken just after an early morning thunderstorm, at Ronkonkoma (where else?), under exposed etc all, but I always liked this picture becouse you can see the water vapor rising off the road.
The other I am just showing, just becuz I can and FAs always look good from any angle.

by Richard Glueck

I affirm your take on the aesthetics of ALCO cabs. No bad views at all. Thank goodness the LIRR purchased those that were available in the FA model. With the exception of D&H's grab at the final four, I will never understand why the last Santa Fe and Erie-Lackawanna PA's went to scrap when they were already designated as ultimately preservable as American classics. Certainly the ALCO's were much more beautiful than E's and F cabs.

by tushykushy

Paul, I love the first photo! So what, it's under exposed... it kinda sets the mood for the picture. If you have anymore slides, please share!

by Dave Keller

Hi Paul:

Your first shot reminds me of many mornings waiting for the train to come out of the yard at Ronkonkoma!!!

Dave Keller