Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by pineywoodsman

What is the top speed out there on the Montauk branch, especially through Nepeague? I was out there in the spring, and saw some pretty straight track sections there.
2 photos from the Nepeague area, around Nepeague Meadow Rd.

As you can see these tracks are very straight. But I imagine speed is limited because it's a)diesel territory and b) unsignalled (they still get train orders at Patchogue).

by njtmnrrbuff

On a lot of the line, I believe the top speed is 65. The speed limit through Hither is slow. Very nice shots by the way. I notice in the second one where the tracks curve off; that is Hither Hills State Park. I took a trip out to Montauk last year in May of 04. Very nice scenery, especially where you are. In fact, in Railpace way back, they reviewed the location where you were at.

by SK2MY

MAS or Maximum Authorized Speed on the Montauk Branch is 65 MPH. There are many speed restrictions along the way due to curves, bridges etc. For example, the speed over the Shinnecock Canal is only 45 MPH.

As a matter of fact, MAS for all of our diesel hauled passenger trains is 65 MPH. In electrified territory, MAS is 80 MPH.

by Frank

Nice pics. The speed between Amagansett and Montauk I believe is 30 mph.

by emfinite

Between Montauk and Amagansett going east is MAS until the right hand curve at milepost 113 where a 40 MPH restriction starts up to the eastbound End of Block sign where a 10 MPH restriction begins.

Joe

by pineywoodsman

It sounds like it'll be a very nice ride to Montauk. I've been as far as Amagansett, that's the day when I took those photos ( walked as far as almost Hither Hills and got the 10c back).
Yeah Hither Hills starts where the track curves. It's a shame the C-3's don't have railfan windows because that ride would be awesome. We'll have to settle for the side windows. :-)
As far as scenery, Montauk line is very nice, so is the Greenport line, Oyster Bay line, and Port Washington between Bayside and Port Washington.

by njtmnrrbuff

The Montauk Line is my best favorite in terms of scenery and speed. The view over Shinnecock is pretty. 65 mph aint bad but it could be raised to 80 in a couple of parts, especially in the fields around Southampton.

by Dave Keller

If I'm not mistaken, the one photo showing the portion of the street crossing in the foreground was the approximate site of the Napeague Beach station stop (shelter shed with crushed cinder low platform) which was opened in 1924 and discontinued as a stop on 12/5/27.

It serviced fishermen. As you can see . . . it's out in the middle of NOWHERE!! Imagine the same site in the mid-1920s!!!

BTW: For many years after the line was extended to Montauk in 1895, Amagansett was the actual end of the line for most of the Montauk branch trains. There were very few trains that made the full trip east. Amagansett had, besides the passenger and freight depot, an engine house, turntable, watering and coaling facilities, bunk house and nearby private boarding houses (neater and cleaner) for train crews.

Many of the guys with the Amagansett run as their regular job eventually purchased homes out there. Leo C. Hantz, retired conductor was one. He was the brother of my Uncle Eugene Hantz (uncle by marriage). They both lived and raised their families in Amagansett. There were many other railroad men who did the same thing!

Dave Keller

by trackml2

The 65 speed isnt only related to the track. If speed was increased to 80, a train could beat a xing to its lowered position since this is what they are timed for due to past diesel fleets.

The speed over the Shinecock bridge is 65. It's the curve east of the bridge that is 45. Although it is damn close to the bridge. One would be braking before the bridge for the curve.
  by RetiredLIRRConductor

Montauk speeds....
Between Bliss and Jay..40 both passenger and freight
Signal Bridge 96 and Valley..80 passenger, 40 frt
Except..Curve hillside viaduct..50 pass. 40 frt
Curve west of St. Albans.. 50 pass. 40 frt
reverse curve east of St. albans..50 pass. 40 frt
Reverse curve 3595 east of st albans 60 pass. 40 frt
Second curve west of valley 60 pass, 40 frt
First curve west of valley 70 pass, 40 frt
Valley and babylon...80 passenger, 45 frt
except..first curve east of Valley stream 60 pass, 40 frt
Curve Lynbrook..60 pass, 40 frt
Babylon Interlocking.. 60 pass, 40 frt
Babylon and Y..65 pass, 45 frt
except..second curve west of oakdale 60 pass, 40 frt
Yand SK 65 pass, 40 frt
exceptfirst curve east of mile post51 55pass 40 frt
2500feeteast of signals518 and yard limit board 3368 feet east of mile post 54 40 pass 30 frt
Carmens River under grade bridge 60 pass 40 frt
second under grade bridge east ofBO, to MSand all curves between MO and PT 45 pass, 40 frt
All curves between MO and PT 45 pass, 40 frt
SK and end of Block Montauk...65 pass, 40 frt
except..First curve east of SK 50 pass, 40 frt
First curve west of WH 50 [pass, 40 frt
First curve east of MP7550 pass, 40 frt
First curve east of Hampton bays 50 pass, 40 frt
Second curve east of Hampton Bays 60 pass, 40 frt
First curve east of Shennecock Canal Bridge 45 pass, 40 frt
Curve at west endof Southampton Station 45 pass, 40 frt
Southampton Station 45 pass, 40 frt
second curve east of SN 50 pass, 40 frt
thrid curve east of SN 50 pass, 40 frt
Curve at west end of Bridgehampton Station 40 pass, 40 frt
Third curve west of MY and MY 40 pass, 40 frt

by LIRailfan79

do they require you to memorize all of the speeds for the entire RR?

by emfinite

If you are the engineer, you have to know where to slow down! Of course you have to know the speeds!!

Joe

by Dave Keller

If you don't, this is what happens:

and this:

and this:

The engineer made the curve west of Eastport a little over the limit. The engine went on its side, too, but these were taken after it had been righted.

Ya gotta know your speeds and stuff!!! :-D

Dave Keller

by LIRailfan79

but doesn't the signal aspect dictate what the speed is a lot of the time?

by de402

LIRailfan79 wrote:but doesn't the signal aspect dictate what the speed is a lot of the time?
you're in "manual" territory. the only aspect you'll get say east of KO is either a hiker wandering the pine barrens or a stray cow or duck in jamesport. dunno about the montauk branch but i bet its the same...