• Modeling NJT

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by jetfan

Steve F45 wrote:Joe, do you have any NJT decals left at all?
We have a Ton of decals remaining, we just can't sell them though due to licensing. It would be less costly to discard the entire lot rather than renew the license as the license costs several thousand dollars. It's just not worth the expense as that money could go a long way with other projects. We will probably break the sets apart and at least offer the numbers, as it would be a start. As Anthony says, the logos are out there, you just have to find them.
  by peanut1

Hello,
I am currently looking to run NJT on my layout. I found cars for it but can't find a diesel. The only diesel I found was a GP40. The dealer I found it at wanted $180.00 which I found to be a bit steep. Is their anything new coming out for this roadname in diesels or am I pretty much going to have wait and hope for the best. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  by Ken S.

Train shows might find you a Spectrum or Walthers F40PH. I got an NJDOT U34CH some years back at one. You can also use the Metro-North F40PH from Walthers if you can find that since Metro-North's F40s are mixed with NJT's equipment pool.
  by peanut1

That would probably be the best place to find an NJT diesel. How would I find a train show near me?
  by ns3010

180 seems a lot for one of the Atlas units, unless it was a gold (DCC/Sound) unit. I think that the silver (DC, but DCC ready) MSRP's at about $140, with the gold units being about another hundred above that.

Another option for the F40's would be ebay. There is just about always one of the Spectrum units available, and the prices are very good. The U Boats also pop up relatively often as well, but the Walthers F40's are a little more rare.

There are definitely plenty of units out there, so you just need to find them. There aren't many left in stores, so shows and online are your best bets, and would give better bargains, anyway.
  by peanut1

I was going to join ebay, but for some reason I just had second thoughts. However, if I need to find an NJT engine and it means joining ebay I will have to. =)
  by Otto Vondrak

peanut1 wrote:Is their anything new coming out for this roadname in diesels or am I pretty much going to have wait and hope for the best.
New costs money and you just said you're not willing to pay $180.00 list for a new engine.

That said, try the eBay. I think you got some pretty good suggestions of lower-cost options, including looking for Bachmann Spectrum F40's or even the Atlas U34CH (I just saw one on eBay for $55.00). Keep an eye out at your local train shows or keep searching eBay.

-otto-
  by cnj1524

I have A couple of walthers NJT F40's(rd4118/4025)new in box if intrested
  by Steve F45

I have several U34CH's if your interested.
  by green_elite_cab

Yeah, I don't think thats a legitimate price for that GP40. I have one as well, didn't pay that much for it. Ebay will be your best bet. Train shows the next, but be fast, because this stuff sells fast.
  by peanut1

$180.00 is way to much for me to spend on a diesel like that no matter how much I need it. I will continue to look around for one. That diesel for $180 has sound on it so maybe thats why it's so much. He's had it for so long too.
  by Steve F45

Can anyone tell me where the bell is located on the U34CH's? The stock atlas one is on the long hood behind the firemens side but in photos' i have not seen that mounted there. Im working on the Conrail 1776 painted unit and need to know where the bell goes.
  by Steve F45

Thanks. Did any of the U34CH's have hood mounted bells? I just bought 2 packs of DW ge hood mount bells.
  by green_elite_cab

Steve F45 wrote:Thanks. Did any of the U34CH's have hood mounted bells? I just bought 2 packs of DW ge hood mount bells.
nope. Gotta refer to prototype photos my friend, lol. You may have notived that the U34CH also lacks dynamic brakes, and so the vents on the side are wrong on the atlas model. it make sense to remove them if you can.