• Modeling NJT

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Acela82

Are you only NJT Railfans, or do you also have NJT models? Which? What scale?

Micha

by james1787

I have both a sealed boxed Lionel NJT trainset and I have a few extra NJT passenger cars and Lionel NJT Loco #4300. #4300 sits atop my entertainment center at the moment awaiting a layout to run on.. actually more like awaiting a house to build a layout.. :wink: I would like to find the ballast car set that was put out along with the switcher set, but there are a few other priorities at the moment. I would love to model the gladstone branch or between my stop and hoboken someday (or at least parts of it..).

by BlockLine_4111

There is a display case in the Hoboken station containing a small O gauge layout. There is an E60CH powered commuter train and #4300 series powered work train. The layout activates on a time based button switch.

MTH made an O gauge version of the NJT ex-CNJ GP40P with 410X number but left out critical details such as the flared vents at the upper rear.

Steve P.'s friend has a massive NJT O gauge layout w/classical U34CH's from what I was told.

As for myself I may convert a MTH Amtrak F40PH-2 into a NJT F40PH (if time permits).

by Acela82

It sounds like that only large scales are in your collection. I started collecting NJT HO models 3 years ago, and have now 9 models. 6 of them were custompainted by myself.

by BlockLine_4111

For starters you have a nice collection there, i hope your low/rough frequency 50Hz power systems over there in Germany don't wreck havoc on systems designed for higher/gentler 60Hz. But then again HO are usually DC direct propulsion. Yes/no ?

I'd like to see you add GP7s in both paint schemes E8s and U34CH in the old paint schemes, and an E60CH as next acquisitions.

by Acela82

I have no problems powering my models. All runs fine, but i have no layout at the moment, so they are "presented" in my showcase.

I already planned my next models. There will come a GP-7, an E60 and a GP40FH-2. Maybe later also an ALP-46.

With the old scheme you mean The NJDOT dark blue/grey scheme? I don´t think that i will ever own models with this paint, i think its an ugly scheme.

by BlockLine_4111

Acela82 wrote:I have no problems powering my models. All runs fine, but i have no layout at the moment, so they are "presented" in my showcase.

I already planned my next models. There will come a GP-7, an E60 and a GP40FH-2. Maybe later also an ALP-46.

With the old scheme you mean The NJDOT dark blue/grey scheme? I don´t think that i will ever own models with this paint, i think its an ugly scheme.
You can power 'em off a small 9V drycell. The contacts are same width as the wheels or rails.

Yes the dark blue/grey scheme. The dark blue when oxidized and dirty always looked flat black to me.

by Acela82

You can power 'em off a small 9V drycell. The contacts are same width as the wheels or rails.
I have 3 model railroad transformators and a few meters of track, so i don´t need a battery for testing... :wink:

by james1787

Wow, great paint job on those!

by acelaman

I have four Atlas ALP 44's, an Atlas U34CH, Bachmann F40PH, Walthers GE E60, and Athearn F7 and SW1500. I recently purchased a ROCO 101 class loco for conversion to an NJT ALP 46. Gotta get a couple of GP40's and GP40FH's. Maybe some E8's in the different color schemes as well. I model NJT and Amtrak on the NE Corridor with a little of the NJCL in HO scale.

by BlockLine_4111

Acela82 wrote:
I have 3 model railroad transformators and a few meters of track, so i don´t need a battery for testing... :wink:
A small 9V drycell comes in handy for testing used equipment when an operable layout is non-existant (such as a garage sale, fair, or flea market).

by Acela82

O.k., now i understand what you meant...

by BlockLine_4111

You seem to have a strong interest in NJ Transit ? Was this perhaps from a visit to the states ?

by Acela82

No! I´m just 22 and never went to USA. My interest in american trains started in the age of 15, when i bought a Bachmann SD45. The first time, i bought everything what was from the us. 4 years ago, i bought my first Atlas engine, it was an ALP-44. I found the paintscheme very nice, and decided to collect NJT models. Thats all. The other part of my collection are mostly Amtrak and other passenger railroad engines.

So today my interest is not only on NJT, also on Amtrak, other modern passenger roads and American electric engines.

Micha

by BlockLine_4111

My family's friends from Italy and Netherlands have rode NJT diesel trains to/from Hoboken and were quite satisfied.