Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by NH2060

From the Fairfield Daily Voice:
http://fairfield.dailyvoice.com/news/me ... r-westport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brief quote:
Metro-North intends to install the instrumentation just east of Greens Farms Station in Westport on the New Haven Line and just south of Scarborough on the Hudson Line.

These installations are in addition to fault detection improvements on CSX property that were agreed to by CSX last August following a freight derailment at Spuyten Duyvil last summer.
  by kitn1mcc

wonder if they gonna go with talking Detector
  by DutchRailnut

No, on Metro North the detectors are for Freight only, and they will only report to Dispatchers office, if there is a defect the Dispatcher will instruct where to stop the train.
  by RearOfSignal

Is this going to be any different then the detectors south of Garrison? I guess the reason to put them south of Scarborough is to monitor freight cars coming out of CSX Croton West Yard? I wonder is CSX installing this on the OPL. The detectors at Garrison do detect dragging equipment so it's not just freight cars affected. A few weeks ago, every southward train going through set off the detector, MNR and Amtrak included.
  by Noel Weaver

DutchRailnut wrote:No, on Metro North the detectors are for Freight only, and they will only report to Dispatchers office, if there is a defect the Dispatcher will instruct where to stop the train.
Interesting, If I were the dispatcher I would get the train stopped ASAP, a detector can be nothing but it can also be extremely serious. I would not want to be the dispatcher who failed to get the train stopped in time to cause a serious problem. A radio alarm detector would be safer.
Noel Weaver
  by DutchRailnut

Note what detector in Garrison does, it checks for equipment fouling the third rail, it is for all trains entering third rail territory, not freight leaving west yard.
new detectors check freight cars for defects like hot bearings, wheel impact due to flat spots, dragging wheels etc.
  by RearOfSignal

DutchRailnut wrote:Note what detector in Garrison does, it checks for equipment fouling the third rail, it is for all trains entering third rail territory, not freight leaving west yard.
new detectors check freight cars for defects like hot bearings, wheel impact due to flat spots, dragging wheels etc.
The detectors at Garrison do check for hot journals, dragging equipment and third rail clearance. Hence the official station name "Hot Box/Dragging Equipment/Third Rail detector." Not just third rail clearance. It appears that this new system would have all of the above hopefully with height and load shift detectors as well. The current detectors are not just for freight trains.

When a train sets off the detector the RTC will have it noted on his screen. Depending on defect indicated train will either stop immediately or continue to where inspection can be made. Train may not pass next interlocking before being inspected.