Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Freddy

A site I just stumbled across, railroadworkersunited.org shows 6 worker fatalities so far this year. Their listing goes back to 1989. Some I'd already heard about and some I hadn't.
  by amm in ny

As someone who has never worked for any railroad, I'm curious: what procedures does Metro-North use to insure that track workers don't get hit by trains?
  by Steamboat Willie

Good question. They establish what's called working limits. Everyday MN issues out what's called a DTOBO (Daily Train Operating Buttelin Order.) On that document it will, amongst other things state whether there are mobile units doing work. Like this past weekend in the Bronx with the construction of CP109, tracks 2 and 1 were OOS and tracks 4 and 3 had working limit stop signs erected near the work site. There will be what we call an "A" board well advance of the working limit stop sign. So any trains traveling on that track, will contact the corresponding mobile unit for permission past the stop sign, at a speed directed by the RWIC (Roadway Worker in Charge.)

For example, I am a southbound train, and we will call it train 1234 and I am on track 4 approaching the work site, at MP 9.4. I am by the A board. I see to get permission past the stop sign at MP 9.0 I am to contact mobile unit 604. So I will alert him I am by his A board. He will ensure his men and equipment are in the clear not obstructing the track and give me authorization past the stop sign, at medium speed (30mph.) Unlike a speed restriction, where your consist must be clear of the resume speed sign, once your headend is past the working limits resume speed sign can you resume track speed. If no speed is given by the RWIC, medium speed is done. And the RTC cannot talk you past a working limits stop sign.

They also use BDA's here as well (Blocking Devices Appled.) I didn't go into extreme detail here but this is just a quick response in layman's terms to help you better understand one of the methods to protect roadway workers.
  by Backshophoss

NTSB investagation is still ongoing,They issued a "Urgent Safety Recomdation" to MNR to use shunt jumpers at worksites,
to insure worker safety,and to keep the signal system from showing "clear track".
Final report next year.

Note: would follow Fair use regs but not allowed to pull a "Quote" from the site :(
  by Head-end View

Does anybody here know if LIRR uses those shunting devices?
  by Clean Cab

Backshophoss wrote:NTSB investagation is still ongoing,They issued a "Urgent Safety Recomdation" to MNR to use shunt jumpers at worksites,
to insure worker safety,and to keep the signal system from showing "clear track".
Final report next year.

Note: would follow Fair use regs but not allowed to pull a "Quote" from the site :(

There have been suggestions made that shunting devices be used over the years, but it is sad that the need to use them comes after a tragedy. I know that MN will make the needed changes to make the workplace safe for all.
  by Bill D

From WTNH:
Metro-North says it started working on a new safety procedure right after the accident. Shunting might not be the best solution because parts of the Metro-North system have third rails, which can can make shunting dangerous.
I can understand the possible electrocution hazard, but are there ways to safeguard against this happening? Also, is it possible to shut power off for a track in a given work area, or are the power sections too long for this to be practical?

Link to news source: http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/connecticu ... l-accident

Bill
  by Clean Cab

Amtrak has used shunting device on their tracks between NY City and Washington DC for many years now without anyone getting electrocuted, so that argument is out the window.
  by Freddy

While the workers are waiting for the powers- that- be to make up their minds all they need to do is lay a lining or pull bar across the rail, after getting track time of course, and barring
of course any xings circuits that they might be inside of. They'll set those off. Could also use half of a set of jumper cables, clamped to the rail base. I'd do that before I'd let a train in on top of me. If you're standing next to a working backhoe, trying to direct his movements, you don't here horns to well.
  by DutchRailnut

Shunting devices and electrocution are pure bullsh*t .
it only shorts out the two running rails to each other, they do not contact third rail or Catenary.

It only does same thing as wheelset.
  by Clean Cab

Some have said the using a shunt on tracks with 3rd rail may be dangerous. But what those people do not understand is 3rd rail power will be shut off in the area a shunt would be used. So another anti-shunt theory goes up in flames!!!
  by Bill D

Clean Cab wrote:Some have said the using a shunt on tracks with 3rd rail may be dangerous. But what those people do not understand is 3rd rail power will be shut off in the area a shunt would be used. So another anti-shunt theory goes up in flames!!!
That was something that I was wondering about, since many tools used in railroad work could be potentially dangerous. Also, I would assume that anyone working near a high voltage power source would have been trained in safety procedures before doing so.

Bill