Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

No plans to buy new locomtives as of yet but maybe some second hand locomotives for branch line service. Bi levels do not fit into GCT on all four tracks, the LIRR cars only fit in track 1 and 2 in park aveneu tunnel so MNCR has no plans on buying any.
no other coaches on order just M7's EMU's

by Nester

IIRC, MN invested in Genesis engines around the same time the LIRR decided to designed new engines (DMs and DEs) which have turned out to be nothing more than overweight lemons. So for the moment, with the exception of branch line service, there is no need for new motive power.

LIRR Coaches (C3s) are too tall for service to GCT (on either line - as Dutch pointed out, they don't fit on all the tracks along Park Avenue, and they don't fit in the 63rd St tunnels either.

They (C3s) can't be used on low-platforms, meaning that MN would have to either eliminate service to those stops (I think most of the stops left that are low are park stops), waste money on platforms, or go with MBTA style platforms (one car-length high, the rest low). The latter is what the LIRR should have done rather than close stops in Central and western Suffolk (I know they closed a stop or two on OB, but both those stops had very-close alternates)

The only things on order right now are the M7s that are being delivered. CDOT is supposed to order new equipment soon, based on some articles I read in CT newspapers. I think the best thing for them would be a M7-style car that can work with pantographs and possibly offer more seats. Don't forget the bar car! :)

I have my own ideas about the gear we should see on MN. Look for a new thread discussing this.

Nester