Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Long Island 7285

regular LIRR and NYA will be ideal for this regon. the freight cababilites are very high, but we need some one with some form dictator ship towards "improving" rail and car transportation on LI. some one that will say that "waht i say is done that it, period. im open for suggustions that will improve this system, its for your own benifits as local redisents"

by NIMBYkiller

I'd like to see the line used as part of a county or bi-county rail system for intra-island travel. That hub rail is a first step, but it shouldn't be light rail.

As for freight, they should definately try to start it up again.

by SK2MY

Just to add to the politics of Garden City, listen to this one............................Over the past few years (not including last year), the railroad hosts a Fire/Train Expo at the Nassau Coliseum. This usually took place in February. The Coliseum hosted an NYPD / FDNY Expo where Emergency Responders could take a peek at state of the art police and fire equipment. The Railroad had a pavilion where we would bus Emergency Responders to the Garden Mitchel Field Secondary for emergency training on our equipment. We brought a DM locomotive hauling 4 C-3 coaches to the site. There are various unprotected crossing on the way to Mitchel Field. Without fail, every year that this took place, the railroad would receive numerous complaints that there was a train on THEIR property that was BLOWING the horn too loud.............IMAGINE THAT!

by Frank

SK2MY wrote:Just to add to the politics of Garden City, listen to this one............................Over the past few years (not including last year), the railroad hosts a Fire/Train Expo at the Nassau Coliseum. This usually took place in February. The Coliseum hosted an NYPD / FDNY Expo where Emergency Responders could take a peek at state of the art police and fire equipment. The Railroad had a pavilion where we would bus Emergency Responders to the Garden Mitchel Field Secondary for emergency training on our equipment. We brought a DM locomotive hauling 4 C-3 coaches to the site. There are various unprotected crossing on the way to Mitchel Field. Without fail, every year that this took place, the railroad would receive numerous complaints that there was a train on THEIR property that was BLOWING the horn too loud.............IMAGINE THAT!
The people of Garden City are crazy! If trains would start running there regularly, they're going to have to live with it, not bellyache every time a train runs on the secondary!

by NIMBYkiller

Tell em to shove it.

by Long Island 7285

then NIMBYS dont "own" the ROW, and if a train is on it, they cant B$#%.

They will benifit the most from it, and no little do they know it only uns 1 block through full residencses, then its all commerical till NCC.

washingto -Clinton, is the only non comerical area, they can deal with it if they can deal with trucks and busses.

by mjb777

What is being talked about here is Tom Suozzi 's plan for the Nassau Hub and Charles Wangs plan to buy and rebuild the Nassau collisium , and build what he calls the lighthouse which will be a combination hotel , conference center , and apartments . The plan has the county execs ok and they are waiting approval of the legilature. The meeting in the social service building was about the hub plans , and the Nassau County complex . I do not know how the meeting turned out but Iam sure residents of Garden City & Mineola got their 2 cents in.

by Frank

mjb777 wrote:What is being talked about here is Tom Suozzi 's plan for the Nassau Hub and Charles Wangs plan to buy and rebuild the Nassau collisium , and build what he calls the lighthouse which will be a combination hotel , conference center , and apartments . The plan has the county execs ok and they are waiting approval of the legilature. The meeting in the social service building was about the hub plans , and the Nassau County complex . I do not know how the meeting turned out but Iam sure residents of Garden City & Mineola got their 2 cents in.
Will they improve transit in the area?

by NIMBYkiller

The Nassau Hub studies have included transit as a focus, but I doubt they've really made any progress. If anything, the situation has worsened, as the LIB Hub Shuttle no longer runs to to Fortunoff.

The studies did include plans to use the former Mineola-CLP ROW as well as the GC Secondary.

by BMT

From what I heard (in an early press release) was that the idea of running a Light Rail line through the 'Nassau Hub' area would be seriously considered. I assume this would make use of -- at least some -- of the trackage that goes over the Meadowbrook by Zeckendorf Blvd. and then heads over past the DMV office then down toward Roosevelt Field.

by NIMBYkiller

Yes, that is part of one of the plans.

I really don't think light rail is right. I think heavy rail is better, that way it can easily be expanded onto existing infrastructure.

by Long Island 7285

Nimby you are correct with the Hvy Rail, its more adapabel to the needs of LI and can be connected to LIRR with no problem.

you will never see the tracks to the DVM open again as out world famous MTA chose to waist millions on these huts, that sit right on top of the ROW connection, they would haved to be moved 20+feet west to make safe room.
MTA did this purposly to detur possibilites of railroad use there. i tell ya, some people are real sick.

by NIMBYkiller

You mean those aluminum POSs that can be moved blowing on em?

by Long Island 7285

u got that right nimby. i think thoes POSs will look good in some gons behind 2 green geeps :-D

another poor caried out decission of the one and only NY MTA.