Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by SK2MY

We had some fun with the "Rules Questions" thread, now let's try this.............This will require a good knowledge of the physical characteristics, however, drawing is not enough. This will test to see if you have been to certain locations.

Although signals are not normally missing from the location where they are normally seen, sometimes our signs are missing. Keep in mind that signs are signals also. Let's see how many signs that we can come up with that are actually missing from the location where they should be.

AND, THERE IS ONE SIGNAL AT A LOCATION WHERE IT SHOULDN'T BE...............anyone??

by bluebelly

The Westbound yard limit board to KO2 is missing , or at least it was missing last time I was out that way.

by Clemuel

Hay, I think more signs are missing than are present.

The stuff simply isn't replaced when it's ripped down.

Clem

by DutchRailnut

If people caled right supervisors it would be replaced.
99% of time its just employees bitching without calling a supervisor to report it and to follow up with a Email.
My supervisors on MNCR have been doing a great job on follow ups when I call stuff in.

by SK2MY

Blue:

You are close. Actually, the WB Yard Limit Board is there. It is the EB Yard Limit Board at KO2 that is missing. There are a few other notables if anyone is interested in giving it a shot. Also, think about the signal that is in the wrong spot. Hints to follow.

by Long Island 7285

Are'nt some [W] sigins missing at some grade crossings?

by jayrmli

The wesbound Yard Limit board at YA (MP60) was missing for a long while. It was recently replaced, however.

They're usually pretty good at replacing them if you report it to the right people.

Jay

by tushykushy

Yeah there's at least 5 of them W's missing on the Montauk branch.
  by freightguy

What are those white signs that look like whistle post except with a "G"? The are along the Westbound Montauk next to the receiving yard in Richmond Hill.

by SK2MY

Freight:

I am in that area quite often, but I don't recall seeing those signs. Where are they exactly?

by bluebelly

SK he is talking about the Grade Signal markers.

Freightguy That portion of the railroad is uphill . If the engineer of freight train of 90 or more cars or a weight of 80% of his engine's capicity encounters a signal displaying Stop and Proceed, and it has the sign you desribed, he can proceed past that signal at restricted speed with out first stopping.

by Liquidcamphor

Bluebelly: the only Grade Signals on the LIRR are on the Lower Montauk track No. 2 from Bliss to Fresh Pond. There is no Grade Signal on the Westbound Montauk. The Westbound Montauk is a 1 percent grade. For the blocking distances on the Long Island Rail Road, the grade has to exceed 1 percent as a minimum to meet the requirements in order to display a "G" on the signal mast of an Automatic Signal. There are however Grade Markers on the Westbound Montauk but they do not allow an Engineer to utilize the "note" in rule 291.
Last edited by Liquidcamphor on Sun May 22, 2005 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by bluebelly

Liquidcamphor wrote:Bluebelly: the only Grade Signals on the LIRR are on the Lower Montauk track No. 2 from Bliss to Fresh Pond. There is no Grade Signal on the Westbound Montauk. The Westbound Montauk is a .75 percent grade. For the blocking distances on the Long Island Rail Road, the grade has to exceed 1 percent as a minimum to meet the requirements in order to display a "G" on the signal mast of an Automatic Signal.
Yes I believe by " Westbound Montauk" Freightguy is refering to the Lower Montauk.
Damn , now Coupler is going to yell at me again :(

by Form 19

The grade is actually .89 percent at the east end of the westbound Montauk reducing to .47 percent at the west end of it. Yes, Liquid you're correct. It would not qualify for "G" signals. The "G" signs that Freightguy is referring to are marking the underground gas pipes for switch heaters and other purposes.

COOL BEANS!

by Form 19

The eastbound 55 speed restriction sign is missing on the first curve east of "Y". The stop board on the backshop lead in Morris Park is gone too. The blue light on the fuel dock doesn't work either. The westbound Yard Limit board is bent to the ground at PD, enough so you can't see it when approaching. There are two 50 MPH speed restriction signs for the second curve east of WH. There is no speed restriction sign westbound for the first curve west of WH. And the sign prohibiting employees from gathering refreshements at 7-11 in ND is missing also.

COOL BEANS!