Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by bagpiper516

Does anyone have any idea why a small set of tracks were recently (within the last 2 weeks) installed on the north side of Mineola Memorial Park? Looks as though they'll be displaying an old car/engine, but I hadn't heard of the village acquiring one. Thanks.

by bagpiper516

Well I answered my own question, thanks to the "Mineola American." It seems they will be installing a caboose from 1906 (doesnt specificy if its LIRR/PRR) to celebrate the village's centennial. Anyone know who is providing the hack?

by bagpiper516

From what I could tell, yes.

by Dave Keller

In 1906, LIRR hacks were "bobbers" (4 wheels only), named accordingly as they bounced or "bobbed" all along the tracks.

I can't believe there are any left in existence unless hiding on the grounds of some defunct railroad museum of the past, as the LIRR got rid of them around 80 years ago.

When the N52A style came into use on the LIRR in the mid-late 1920s, all the bobbers went bye-bye.

Probably a hack from some other road, but a nice touch just the same.

Would it be too much to hope that it is of the same style used on the LIRR and that the village would paint and stencil it from old LIRR photographs?

Dave

by newkirk

Anyone know where Mineola Memorial Park is located ?
  by Head-end View

Hmmm, the park is not near the railroad. It's on Marcellus Rd. between Garfield and Jackson Aves, a few blocks west of Mineola Blvd, and a couple of blocks north of the tracks. :-D

by bagpiper516

It's a quick walk to the station...2 minutes tops. The park's also across the street from my school (Not the elementary school, thank you...Chaminade.)
  by dukeoq

I believe that the hack going to Mineola is Hack#50, recently re-habbed by members of Friends of 35 in Oyster Bay.
This is far from being a 1906 hack, since, like Dave says, it has eight and not four wheels.
It was one of the first order of steel hacks, with straight sides, to be delivered around 1959-60.
  by dukeoq

Oh! Dave----you call those early four wheelers bobbers.
You never rode in #50. I did. Need I say more? :-)

by alcoAL

#50's interior was restored as well. It will be in Mineola for this year's centennial celebration then moved to Oyster Bay at the end of the year. BTW, the OB turntable is also a historic landmark (with the station) and once a NY State grant is finalized, it will be restored.