Railroad Forums 

• Milwaukee Road Maroon?????

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1085237  by many19

Gentlemen,
I am building an old MILW Walthers Passenger Car, in O-scale. These cars all have the so called Maroon stripe on the center. Any Polly Scale or any other manufacture that makes this color does not match this stripe. It looks more like a very reddish or oxide red color. Does anyone know what is the true color of this stripe. I need to match it and I am having a lot of trouble doing so.
Thank you
 #1085262  by Desertdweller

I know the color, but I don't know how to describe it in words.

The Walthers (Life-Like) N-scale locomotives that use this color look right to me. I should think Life-Like would use this color for Milwaukee Road equipment in both N and HO.

If you can borrow a locomotive painted this way, you may be able to mix the color yourself. First, I would see if Floquil offers this color. Floquil paints are usually pretty accurate.

The main problem in using any paint that has a red component to it is that the red will fade out in sunlight and leave you with what is left. Thus, UP Armour Yellow fades to a pale yellow. CGW maroon fades to purple.

The best way is to work off an official railroad color chart. Next best way is to buy the color pre-mixed from a reputable supplier like Floquil. Matching to an actual piece of railroad equipment only works if it is freshly painted. Since the Milwaukee began their switch to the UP passenger scheme in 1955 and is no longer in business, the Floquil option is likely the only one open to you.

Les