• Metrolink looking for used trains

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by Irish Chieftain

NJ Transit has low-platform Comet I cars coming available. Maybe I oughta suggest it to them.

by Milwaukee_F40C

Old Chicago gallery cars. They are well built and have a lot of capacity. Metra has retired a lot of them, stainless and regular steel, which are still in good condition. Metrolink could probably get them cheap like other commuter lines have.

by Irish Chieftain

That's another good candidate. If they're worried about having strong cab cars, then perhaps Metrolink could be reminded of when a Metra gallery car sliced clean through a gravel truck with minimal damage and no injuries to crew or passengers, some years back...

by pennsy

Hi All,

Metrolink has in fact acquired some new cars. From what they look like they are either brand new or they have gotten new paint jobs. In any event, they are all Bombardier bilevels, as are all the rest of the Metrolink cars. I still expect to see some new engines since the F-59PH's are just about worn out, and the F-59PHI's are starting to have really high mileage.

by Ashman

Pennsy: Metrolink is Currently leasing three Sounder trainsets from Seattle, each is six cars. They also are leasing five ACE cars which they use as track geometry and other testbeds, but not revenue (they have the tiny blue Metrolink signs covering up the very visible "A.C.E." symbols on the sides). The Sounder sets are being leased to replaced wreck-damaged cars until the new cars (ETA in two years) come, the ACE cars may have been purchased, I don't know their status...

... ACE and Metrolink ordered cars together, a Co-op order. since ACE was a start-up and success was uncertain, part of the contract for the co-op purchase was that in the event of ACE's failure, Metrolink would purchase the ACE rolling stock, and in the event ACE had a surplus of rolling stock (five sets when they only needed three) Metrolink would purchase the surplus

by inkyrail

Metrolink has ordered MP36s from Motive Power.