Railroad Forums 

• Metro to retire all 1000- and 4000-series railcars by July 1

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1434083  by davinp

Every 1000- and 4000-series railcar - Metro's oldest and least-reliable cars, respectively - will be decommissioned and permanently removed from passenger service by July 1, months ahead of original projections, Metro announced today.

Metro is making available a number of decommissioned 4000-series railcars to emergency response agencies in the region for training purposes. In addition, a pair of Metro's original railcars, numbered 1000 and 1001, will be refurbished and preserved for historical purposes.

https://www.wmata.com/about/news/1000-4 ... -July1.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1434098  by avgeeky

Hallelujah! The odds are now in my favor for working air conditioning on every train just in time for summer (and for hillterns :D)!
 #1434114  by JDC

schmod wrote:Is this the first official confirmation that 1000-1001 will be preserved?
That I recall, yes. I think PR may have said it hoped to be able to do that, it planned to. But this is first official 'yes' I recall.
 #1434143  by MCL1981

The PR department hard at work with their smoke generator... They make it sound like the decommissioning is ahead of schedule and they're working faster to get things done. No. It's because of their service reductions, they need less trains and can remove them from service sooner. And those service reductions are due to incompetence and criminal negligence, not efficiencies....
 #1434149  by Sand Box John

"schmod"
Is this the first official confirmation that 1000-1001 will be preserved?

Should have preserved at least 8 cars for the purpose of commemorating significant events in Metrorail History.

"MCL1981"
The PR department hard at work with their smoke generator... They make it sound like the decommissioning is ahead of schedule and they're working faster to get things done. No. It's because of their service reductions, they need less trains and can remove them from service sooner. And those service reductions are due to incompetence and criminal negligence, not efficiencies....

I mentioned something similar in a post at reddit.com/r/washingtondc
 #1434313  by Sand Box John

"Chris Brown"
Will cars 1000-1001 be in a museum or somewhere else?

My guess is WMATA holding the answer to that one for future propaganda purposes, for now they will likely stored some place safe.

Also are they being restored to their original 1976 specifications or are they just being detailed, cleaned and refurbished?

Likely the ladder as none of the origenal hardware exists.
 #1434992  by jayo

Sand Box John wrote:"Chris Brown"
Will cars 1000-1001 be in a museum or somewhere else?

My guess is WMATA holding the answer to that one for future propaganda purposes, for now they will likely stored some place safe.

Also are they being restored to their original 1976 specifications or are they just being detailed, cleaned and refurbished?

Likely the ladder as none of the origenal hardware exists.
Well, at least they could give them the original 1976 vintage rail maps!
 #1434993  by jayo

Sand Box John wrote:"schmod"

Should have preserved at least 8 cars for the purpose of commemorating significant events in Metrorail History.
1000-1001, a pair of 4000 series, a pair of 5000 series, and if there are any unrehabbed 2000/3000 series cars, that'll do nicely!
 #1435169  by tommyboy6181

jayo wrote:
Sand Box John wrote:"schmod"

1000-1001, a pair of 4000 series, a pair of 5000 series, and if there are any unrehabbed 2000/3000 series cars, that'll do nicely!
All of the 2000/3000 cars that were not scrapped due to accidents were rehabbed by Alstom back in the early-mid 2000's.