Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by FL9AC

I'm actually surprised that Atlas would produce the B23-7's in Metro-North colors since there weren't really that many on the property. I've noticed though that they're starting to paint models in some of the less known railroads like the LA&L for instance, so maybe they realize there is actually a pretty good market for these models. Can't wait to see a production picture of the unit! :wink:
  by DutchRailnut

road numbers were black but numbers 801 to 807 would be correct.
  by Erie-Lackawanna

Otto Vondrak wrote:The road number numerals do not look right... I'll have to check my notes.
You're right; they're wrong - the wrong typeface. It's the same as that used on the M1-M6 series cars (on their original paint schemes), and, as a matter of fact, the same face as that used by Penn Central in its logo. The closest I'm aware of (which may or may not be the actual face, but it looks darned close if it's not...) is Bitstream's Square 721 Bold Extended (which is Bitstream's verion of the Eurostile you mention, Otto). I have it on a Bitstream CD somewhere, although I'm sure it's well buried....

Jim
Last edited by Erie-Lackawanna on Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by DutchRailnut

main thing would be , DO they have correct AAR trucks.
  by FL9AC

I'm sure the trucks will be the correct type. I think the sketch Otto posted is only to show the scheme...Atlas is usually pretty good as far as overall prototype details. I hope they have the correct horn placement on the side of the long hood :wink:
  by MN-P32AC-DM-201-227

It's about time they start making some more Metro North models in HO. I'd like to see a Genesis in the new paint for Metro North in HO or O. :P :P
  by Otto Vondrak

MN-P32AC-DM-201-227 wrote:It's about time they start making some more Metro North models in HO. I'd like to see a Genesis in the new paint for Metro North in HO or O. :P :P
That's great. We're talking about a different model, though. Please start a new thread if you want to talk about anything other than the Atlas B23-7...
  by DutchRailnut

The B23 -7 did it all, in beginning of MNCR we ran them as passenger power with a single FL-9 or GCT trains.
We ran the B23-7 on work trains, switchers, AMMO , PMMO, railtrains etc.
one or two B2307 had steam trainline so boiler could feed thru to cars, others were used as leaders.
When lease was up on B23-7's a manager at EMIS(Rick Gladulich) suggested we buy the GP35's from Conrail, and rebuild them into non-turbo charged GP35r's.
For price of leasing seven B23-7's for one year, MNCR bought the 6 GP35r's from Conrail
  by metroduff

When was that lease up?
  by DutchRailnut

I believe they were leased for 10 years Jan 1983 to Jan 1993.
The B23-7's ended up on BNSF as leasers, one burned up, the remaining ones were sold or stored on Port Of tillamook Bay.
One unit is still operating in Tennesee under its original MN number 801
  by MN-P32AC-DM-201-227

Hey guys, I found a few photo's on RailPictures.net of of MN's B23-7's. Looks like there were head lights on the nose of the locomotive that were covered up. In a crazy short of way the BL20's have that same kind of nose as did the B23-7's.
:-) :wink:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 220&nseq=0
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 250&nseq=3
Last edited by MN-P32AC-DM-201-227 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.