Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by mainline

I'm sure nobody would even notice. On a LIST trip on the LIRR I parked at Stony Brook knowing the train would be turning the engines at Stony Brook to return to Jamaica. So I saved the trip into Jamaica and return out east.

by MN Jim

Trainer wrote:Since I live in Danbury, do you think anyone would get upset if I just left the FL9 train when it got to the train museum? I'd rather buy a one-way into Stamford that AM than drive down there and drive back again when it was over.
You can board only at GCT or Stamford. You can detrain anywhere the train stops and passengers are permitted to disembark. Unless it's at a photo stop in the middle of nowhere, we won't notice (or mind) your absence should you decide to bail out.

Jim

by Long island Joe

I Know what Trip your talking about i was on that trip 4/17/99 we had GP38 260 MP15 171 AND FA 614

by n2qmt

Otto Vondrak wrote:September 11, 2005 - Nuagatuck Flyer - Take a trip up the Waterbury Branch and beyond over the Naugatuck Railroad to Thomaston Dam.

October 23, 2005 - Farewell to the FL9's - Start at Stamford, run up the Waterbury Branch, then over the Housatonic Railroad to Danbury, then down the Danbury Branch to South Norwalk and return to Stamford.

See the ad in the September issue of Railpace or visit http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/grouptravel/excursions.htm for more info.

-otto-
A couple more...

Cold Spring Antique Show- October 9, 2005

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/excursion_ticke ... ulti_id=45

2nd Annual Fall Foilage Rail Excursion- October 22, 2005

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/excursion_ticke ... ulti_id=46

Cheers!

John

by mainline

Long Island Joe nice shot. That was an interesting location for a runby. Forest Park was inhabited by a bunch of fellas on that day.

by oddball

does anyone know when the croton harmon open house is this year? and how much does it cost?

by DutchRailnut

October and its free.
schedule is not posted till second week of September.

by MN Jim

October 15th.

by oddball

free? damn! bargain of the century!

by 4 Express

I'll see if I can make it to the FL-9 trip since I have never ridden behind an FL-9 (I've already missed riding the ACMU's, no way the FL-9's), but I'll have to save up a lot of bucks & negotiate with my parents. Also, 3 more questions, these may be a little stupid, but I just want to be ready for the trip:
1. Do you need a photo pass in order to take photos on the train?
2. Will MNRR release any information about what kind of coaches we are riding in? (besides the Phoebe Snow cars)
3. Are you allowed to take photos of the interior the train?
Thanks.

by oddball

4 Express wrote:I'll see if I can make it to the FL-9 trip since I have never ridden behind an FL-9 (I've already missed riding the ACMU's, no way the FL-9's), but I'll have to save up a lot of bucks & negotiate with my parents. Also, 3 more questions, these may be a little stupid, but I just want to be ready for the trip:
2. Will MNRR release any information about what kind of coaches we are riding in? (besides the Phoebe Snow cars)
Thanks.
if you cant make it to the trip but would like to ride behind an FL9, you might be able to on the danbury branch. Right now theres a genesis and an F10 (which i like better than the FL9 anyway) but there may be another FL9 in the near future.

by DutchRailnut

No you don't need a photo pas
Only coaches available to MNCR are Bombardier push-pull cars.
and yes you can take pictures both in and outside the train.
  by rdgrailfan

I booked on line for the Danbury trip, goofed up called Metro North and the person handled the situation for me with ease. A few days later the tickets showed up.

Do not know much about the area and will be arriving at Penn station on an early train (6:40 AM) and we need to get from Penn to Grand Central.

What is the best way?

by 4 Express

rdgrailfan wrote:Do not know much about the area and will be arriving at Penn station on an early train (6:40 AM) and we need to get from Penn to Grand Central.

What is the best way?
Public transportation wise, it is best to take the M4 or Q32, their bus stop is located on 32nd St. & 7th Ave. & get off at Madison Ave. & 42nd St., then you will have to walk one block east.
DutchRailnut wrote:No you don't need a photo pas
Only coaches available to MNCR are Bombardier push-pull cars.
and yes you can take pictures both in and outside the train.
Thanks DutchRailnut.
oddball wrote:4 Express wrote:
I'll see if I can make it to the FL-9 trip since I have never ridden behind an FL-9 (I've already missed riding the ACMU's, no way the FL-9's), but I'll have to save up a lot of bucks & negotiate with my parents. Also, 3 more questions, these may be a little stupid, but I just want to be ready for the trip:
Thanks.

if you cant make it to the trip but would like to ride behind an FL9, you might be able to on the danbury branch. Right now theres a genesis and an F10 (which i like better than the FL9 anyway) but there may be another FL9 in the near future.
Yes, I thought about that except I don't want to end up waiting two hours for a train if the train that comes 1st is a Genesis.
  by alewifebp

rdgrailfan wrote:Do not know much about the area and will be arriving at Penn station on an early train (6:40 AM) and we need to get from Penn to Grand Central.

What is the best way?
When I've come in to NYP and needed to go to GCT, I've always taken the 1, 2, or 3 subway uptown to Times Square, then transfer to the S.

I'm probably going to have to take an early bus from my town to the Port and take the S myself.