Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by mattmason

If the Hancocks can be used, even if in just one direction, that would just be the icing on the cake for me on this trip. To hear that sound wil bring great music to my ears.

Biy, the plane leaves in just four days!!!

Matt Mason
Sacramento, CA

by MN Jim

Two things:

First, it looks unlikely that there will be Hancock air whistles on the train. Sorry, we tried, but it couldn't be made to work.

Second: We're aware of the washout, and we're monitoring the situation very closely. We won't make a decision until later in the week. Please do not make assumptions, we have options available to us regardless of the status of the line.

Jim
  by RussM

This afternoon (Tuesday 10/18), I drove up to New Milford to see the washout for myself. I am attaching a photo. There were several dump trucks delivering fill, and a bulldozer pushing it into the gap. I am no expert on earth moving, but this washout looks huge, and the progress seemed very slow. I wish I could be more optimistic, but I will be amazed if this is repaired by this weekend.

http://aleutianfox.smugmug.com/gallery/894279

by NJD8598

Well thats a pretty serious washout, but they've got 4 full days to work on it so hopefully it can be taken care of. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

by mncommuter

For those of you who don't know what the hancock whistle is (including me before a few minutes ago) here's a web page I found that describes them, along with some photos and SOUND FILES!

Cool!

http://trainhorns.net/other/hancock.html
  by DAC

Hi,

Just saw the long range weather forecast for Sunday, saying

heavy rains again.

by njtmnrrbuff

I hope the weather is nice. I am looking forward to this. I saw the picture of that track damage. I laud the Houstatonic for their efforts and execution of fixing it. In addition, I cannot forget MN for planning this so well. I hope it doesn't rain. We've had enough of it.

by Trainer

"Just saw the long range weather forecast for Sunday, saying heavy rains again."

Great! Since the weatherman is more often wrong than not on his long range forcasts, that gives us a better than even chance of having a clear day.

In anticipation of a good day, http://wctrr.com/station/stations.htm gives a good rundown of some of the stations we'll be passing by on the rare mileage trackage.

by Long Island 7285

Between washouts and rain with already saturated ground, is there any possibility that the trip be postponed? I rode trips rain or shine but with the overly saturated ground would that be a concern?

Alos I have ordered 2 tickets and have not received any information about the new plans for the trip. can any one point me in the right direction?
Thanks.

by Terminal Proceed

Regarding your 2 tickets for the trip - There is no one on this forum who can officially advise you of anything. Sit tight - like everyone else, and the railroad will contact you regarding the trip. IF the trip is cancelled,postponed or otherwise I am CERTAIN Metro North officials will be in touch. Just wait for OFFICIAL word - not speculation from a rail fan site.

Kevin

by MN Jim

Let's make this very clear: No decisions have been made regarding this trip. HRRC plans to restore the track to service by Friday, and we have no reason to doubt their estimate. While we're not sticking our heads in the sand about this, we can't make a decision this early. When a decision is made, ticket holders will be advised via e-mail.

Please, folks, sit tight, don't speculate, and plan on visiting Canaan on Sunday unless you hear otherwise from Metro-North.

Jim

by DutchRailnut

Nice writeup on the trip next sunday by Litchfield county times.
http://www.litchfieldcountytimes.com/si ... 8976&rfi=6
  by RussM

The word from our railfan on the scene is that the washout has been filled about 95%, and that the HRRC hopes to have the line back in operation by noon on Friday.

by alewifebp

I can't wait for the trip. So far it does look like rain, though.

I'd also like to remind everyone that the temperature at Canaan will probably be at least 10 degrees cooler than the temperature down in NYC, so it will pay to dress accordingly.