Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by metraRI

Acquity Group, a leading services firm that focuses on digital solutions, announced today that it will work with Metra to launch a new, more customer-centric website on September 9, 2009. The site will enhance communication about Metra services and include needed eCommerce capabilities for online ticketing.
Acquity Group Chosen to Implement Metra's New eCommerce and Mobile Platform
  by EricL

We'll see how it turns out. This outfit looks like they do nice work, and has some high-profile clients. So, at least the design should be pretty. Metra's big emphasis seems to be the online ticket sales - hopefully an improvement in the station/schedule/trip planning department doesn't fall to the wayside.
  by tobuadantoq

I heard that Metra will begin a GPS tracking system for trains like CTA buses. Is it true?
  by tobuadantoq

Is that true for Metra will begin GPS tracking of trains like CTA and Pace for the new web site?
  by metraRI

I have not heard anything official that has said there will be GPS on the new site, I wish there would be.. but we will have to wait and see.
  by metraRI

Well, its after midnight and surely the new site is online. I will say its an overall improvement over the last site. One thing I like is they are more specific on service advisories, and give more info on construction. The new versions of the pdf schedules are now gone, probably just a step backwards when uploading the new site. One thing I don't like is that the only way to view the entire schedule is to get the pdf... only option now seems to be direct station to station schedules.
  by byte

Some things I've noticed:

- The schedule finder for finding departures from one individual station looks really useful
- The station pictures are the same as seen on the old site, only some of them are "squashed" horizontally to get them to fit into the alloted space
- A few colors are weird on the system map. The RI and the HC appear to have switched colors (the former is now maroon and the latter red), and the MED is now somewhere between pink and red.
- On The Bi-Level is still online, but still not really listed by its name. You have to go to the "Newsroom" (from the main page) and then "newsletter."
- No GPS train-tracking features appear to be evident. (Not really surprised since the initiative to get this done would be far beyond the scope of the website)
- The site now lists local attractions which can be reached via Metra or via Metra with a Pace/CTA transfer
- Still no apparent photo policy

The new website obviously beats the pants off the old one. However, I think the CTA did a better job in redesigning theirs earlier in the year. The service updates on the lower right side of the main page are great, as are the pictures of actual trains. A quick glance at the new Metra site, without reading anything, makes it look like they sell insurance or something.
  by c604.

Since it has an MP stripe at the top of the screen, does this mean that the site will load slower than the previous site and break down frequently?? :-) :wink:
  by JohnD1

c604. wrote:Since it has an MP stripe at the top of the screen, does this mean that the site will load slower than the previous site and break down frequently?? :-) :wink:
Well, all day I have been getting "Site Unavailable" errors. And, when it does load, it is sloooow!
  by metraRI

Site seems to be back to normal now. One of the first service disruptions have been posted on the site, for SWS. It shows the delay information on the home page, on the service updates page, as well as on all the SWS sub-pages, and an email alert. Definately does a better job with advisories.
  by doepack

Was finally able to create a "my Metra" account moments ago, couldn't access that part of the site earler. Also, I couldn't tell offhand whether or not the new site is capable of sending text alerts of delays to web-enabled phones, but perhaps that's something that could be looked into eventually. Otherwise, the new site is very glossy and modern, and besides the ability to buy tickets online, one of the best new features is the train information for individual stations; I'm glad folks don't have to bother with reading the entire html or pdf online versions of the schedule online anymore. A nicely done job overall...
  by metraRI

According to the October Issue of OTBL, Metra will be redesigning the schedule display on the new website, enabling one to view the entire schedule without the pdf, this is said to be done this month. Also, Metra is in the process of making a mobile version of the site, which should be done by the end of the year.