Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by TCProductions

I heard a rumor that Metra has a bid out for 10 new Genset's worth 30 million. Anyone have any other info?
Colin
  by metraRI

I heard this too, but I find it hard to believe. I would think Metra would buy more mainline locomotives before switching units. This might be confusion because CSX had a dedication of its Gensets at LaSalle Street today.
  by doepack

And even if the rumor was true, I'm not sure Metra would need that many (10) units, especially since BNSF & UP already provide switchers for their portion of the commuter fleet. I know they have to eventually retire those 4 or 5 elderly SW1200s/SW1500s, but somehow, I don't see Metra replacing them with Gensets. But I don't know, stranger things have happened...
  by Milwaukee_F40C

I could see Metra going with gensets... or those new Brookville locomotives... or used.

What I can't see is how Metra would have the money for that right now.
  by Tadman

Funding?

You've never heard of CARP?

Hizzoner da' Mare has instituted the Chicago Area Rail Plan, a bailout of the commuter lines in Chicago. Or is it Chicago Rail Action Plan?

>>
This dreams in sight
Youve got to admit it
At this point in time that it's clear
The future looks bright
On that train all graphite and glitter
Under[lake] by rail
Ninety minutes from [Union] to [Homewood]
Well by [two-thousand]seventy-six well be a.o.k.

-From I.G.Y. by Donald Fagen of Steely Dan; slightly altered.
  by Milwaukee_F40C

I heard of CREATE, Chicago Rail something-something or other. But I thought that was just for grade separations and streamlining operations at interlockings. Also I thought that whole project was majorly reduced in scope several years ago unless it found its way in to "shovel ready" corporate welfare. :wink:

Also I just realized this: 3 mil apiece for switchers? They are not that complicated technology wise.
  by doepack

Milwaukee_F40C wrote:Also I just realized this: 3 mil apiece for switchers? They are not that complicated technology wise.
Right. And yet, they plan to spend 30 million for TEN of them, when half as much would be just fine. That extra 15 mil could certainly be put to better use...
  by mrconductor55

Metra doesn't really need new switchers. They employ the oldest diesel locomotive in revenue service in Illinois, NIRC 1 will be 70 this year, and she still switches the highliners around blue island. THen Nirc 2 will be 62 this year. She switches at 47th on the rock. Nirc 3 is/has been rebuild, an ex milw sw1200. Nirc 4-7 are sw1500's 2 of which are ex Inland Steel, while the others are ex SP. Then BNSF 2038(GP38-2) just replaced the elderly BNSF 3533 (SW1200) switching the Zephyr pit, and finally UP usually has a Geep15 switching around OTS
  by Tadman

I like the old pics of a CNW GP9 shunting cars at NW Station into the 1990's. Now that'd be a great heritage unit to bring back.
  by doepack

mrconductor55 wrote:...and finally UP usually has a Geep15 switching around OTS
The GP15 is UPY728. There's also a couple of MP15's (UPY1433 & 1488) employed by UP for switching duties in and around OTC. Turns out that the latter unit has an interesting, and well-traveled history...

http://utahrails.net/all-time/upy-03.php#mp15ac-upy1488
  by byte

Okay, so here's where that rumor must have started: http://www.southtownstar.com/news/kadne ... er.article

Too Long, Didn't Read version: NRE manufactures genset locomotives in Dixmoor. Metra had an RFP due yesterday for ten new road locomotives. Someone from Metra's Board of Directors figures that NRE should have a shot at the bid as well, because their locomotives are green and they employ local people. NRE now has five days to determine if they can sumit a bid or not, and if they can, another month or two to get the bid ready.