Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by J hogger

EricL wrote:So what you're saying is that they've been rebuilt into GE's??? ;-)
No it's worse. They made them MP's! :P
  by F40CFan

J hogger wrote:
EricL wrote:So what you're saying is that they've been rebuilt into GE's??? ;-)
No it's worse. They made them MP's! :P
Or worse (if there is such a thing) :-)
  by Scotty Burkhardt

The only difference that I see is the air tank between the fuel tank and frame. 215 & 216 are the only two coming right? Has anyone figured out why these aren't being painted in the MP rainbow scheme? 409 and 411 weren't painted blue after rebuild, it seems a bit strange that they keep two different paint schemes around.
  by Metraf40cfan

Last I heard it was a cost issue. The paint scheme on the 400's is a very expensive paint scheme. When you look at it the 400's make up a small fraction of motive power and everything else is painted in the Red (Orange) over Blue scheme at a much cheaper price. On a side note the 400's are having bad rusting issues due to either bad metal or bad paint. The Red (orange) over Blue does not seem to be having the same rusting issues. Look at the two remaining 600's left in the fleet. I would say it has been 10 years or more since there last paint job and they don't have any visable rust issues. Maybe they need to repaint the 400's to the Red (Orange) over Blue. :-D
Scotty Burkhardt wrote:The only difference that I see is the air tank between the fuel tank and frame. 215 & 216 are the only two coming right? Has anyone figured out why these aren't being painted in the MP rainbow scheme? 409 and 411 weren't painted blue after rebuild, it seems a bit strange that they keep two different paint schemes around.
  by byte

Saw #104 idling this afternoon on the north end of CUS (incidentally coupled right up to an ex-C&NW Pullman bilevel). From the left side, it actually looked like the fuel tank was unchanged.
  by F40CFan

Metraf40cfan wrote: Look at the two remaining 600's left in the fleet. I would say it has been 10 years or more since there last paint job and they don't have any visable rust issues. Maybe they need to repaint the 400's to the Red (Orange) over Blue. :-D
Actually, 611 does have a spot on the back right side that is (or was) rusted through. Still not bad for sitting outside neglected for years. Metra should really do what's right and give them a sprucing up considering they are out there saving their butts.
  by F40CFan

I saw 216 this evening (1/5/2010) MU'd with 110 on the "break-in train" at Western Ave.
  by metraRI

103 is back in Chicago, as of yesterday it had reached Barr Yd.
  by byte

Saw 103 at 47th street this morning at about 9:45. The left side engine room door was open, so maybe they were preparing to start it up/doing its inspection.
  by metraRI

Interesting, I dont think the rest made a stop at 47th Street... Hmmm
  by byte

Perhaps this one will actually be staying on the Rock? Also with this snow/slush/salt we're having I wonder how long until that fresh blue paint job gets a good coat of Chicago winter residue.
  by doepack

I wonder why Metra isn't assigning any of the rebuilds to HC upon their return, or at least they haven't been so far. Until now, they're being rotated on the Milw/NCS lines but wouldn't the longer distances between stations plus higher speed limits on HC give these units more of a chance to "stretch their legs", so to speak?
  by Illinifan

With eight or so engines now rebuilt (including the 216), how many of the early 100s are currently down in Kentucky?