Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by metra 613

Who on this foruum will allways miss the f40c? I for one will.I think there were the most niceest units on any metra line.I will never forget when i saw one for the 1st time. I was watching train with my dad in my home town of Franklin Park and i saw a f40c for the 1st time.It was 53 i will never for get see that great unit eversince then i just llove them.Its kind of funny how i was like only three years olf to and i will never for that.I used to like watching them fly by on the milw there were net and nice looking.To me there match the bi levels like nothing else.So to mei will allways like them.And will never forgot them on metra leys home some one saves on.And btw it bad when u have over 400 ho locs and u can see everone but one.And that will be my custom F40c 613. if anyone else want to tell how much u like them.Plz do i will like to see what people have to say.And btw if anyone has any photos or video plz post them i will love to see them.

by Metra 47 607

I sure miss them very much they were and still are my favorite locomotives. I have allways lived along the north line and loved watching them every day. They hold a very special place in my heart bracuse I grew up with them. The Milwaukee District will never be the same without them. F40Cs ALL THE WAY!!

by metraRI

I think the F40 replacements will have a bigger impact on Metra's "image". Metra is known for having the largest F40 fleet in operation, once they start being retired, those bragging rights could be taken away.

by bones

The 400's already have had a bigger impact on Metra's image as far as being undependable, and leaving a train high and dry.

The F40C rarely did that. As an engineer I definately miss the 600's. They rode like Cadillac's. The 400's ride like school buses as do the F40PH's. The 400's and the Winnebago's are very uncomfortable due to the stupid desktop control stand. I go home with a sore upper back every time I run those damn things! Although the Winnebago's are a little better. The desktop was designed around miggits. The 600's had plenty of leg room, and nice big cabs. You could square dance in them if you wanted to.

One nice thing about working the Southwest is NO 400's! Now if we could send the message to the BN that we do not want the Winnebago's, it would be a near perfect work world.

by F40CFan

I definately miss the F40Cs. They were big, burly and got me home reliably. What's not to love. If they were good for the engineers, so much the better.

Maybe some day manufacturers will taylor their offerings to suit those who have to use them..... Nah, that would make too much sense.

by Tadman

Bones - how come no 400's on SWS? Is that a weight limitation?

by bones

Bridges between CP518 and 74th St. are the restriction for the 400's.
  by AMTK84

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was near the end of my 5th grade year; it was Memorial day 2003, and my mother, grandfather and I were taking a trip to Chicago on the MD-W out of Baartlett, IL. And yes, we had an 8200 in the lead...8239. Its hard to explain the way I felt when I got off that train in Union Station; it was warm, must've been like 80 degrees. I just stood there for a moment while my mother helped my grandfather off the train, taking in the sound of the fans on the METX603. I wasn't very knoledgable about railroading then; I remember my thoughts as I listened to that recording time and time again; the distant sound was that of great power and of great mystery.

Metra 613, I've got some audio of 614 from 2005 and some older tapes, if you're interested email me at [email protected]

by Tadman

If it was 80 degrees out, CUS must have been blazing with idling diesels sitting around...

by AMTK84

Yeah,

That day was the start of a long enjoyable summer in which I spent some time wanderring around CUS with my mother and a good friend, chasing MP36's and recording everything we passed. C604, do you remember that? Those were the days!
  by jg greenwood

AMTK84 wrote:I remember it like it was yesterday. I was near the end of my 5th grade year; it was Memorial day 2003, and my mother, grandfather and I were taking a trip to Chicago on the MD-W out of Baartlett, IL. And yes, we had an 8200 in the lead...8239. Its hard to explain the way I felt when I got off that train in Union Station; it was warm, must've been like 80 degrees. I just stood there for a moment while my mother helped my grandfather off the train, taking in the sound of the fans on the METX603. I wasn't very knoledgable about railroading then; I remember my thoughts as I listened to that recording time and time again; the distant sound was that of great power and of great mystery.

Metra 613, I've got some audio of 614 from 2005 and some older tapes, if you're interested email me at [email protected]
Beautiful story. On a somewhat related note, in the mid 50's I had the pleasure of taking the L&N passenger train from East Saint Louis, IL. to Atlanta, GA. to visit my Aunt. Every summer from the mid to late 50's I enjoyed this journey. What made it extra special was that I was alone. I couldn't have been more than 6-7 years of age when I first started these "special trips." Some of you may recoil in horror that I was allowed to travel alone. Those were different times, more sane and civilized times when children weren't in danger the moment they left their door-step. After my first trip I'm of the opinion that the crew kept an eye on me. I remember the apple-pie with the wedge of cheese in the dining car. .35 cents/slice IIRC. Man was it tasty! I remember sitting in the restroom cars as soldiers underwent their somewhat "rudimentary" toi-lette. Man did I get an education, especially my vocabulary! :wink: I remember standing in the vestibule with the upper doors open smelling what I now know to be brakeshoe smoke. (No dynamic-brakes for these "special hoggers!") I think my love of passenger trains began then. This train always departed ESTL in the evening and arrived in Atlanta in the AM. I could always tell when we were in north Georgia by the color of the soil, red. A great experience for a gutter-snipe from ESTL!

by metra 613

I never forget summer of 2003.Lets just say i got to know 613 very good that summer.I will miss her forever.And and other 600 just as much.

Long live the 600s gone but never forgoting