Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#286093  by byte

Is the same engineer going to be at the throttle (or at least on-site) during this test as during the original accident in question, or are they simply replicating statistics collected from the locomotive's black box?

#286100  by AMTK84

Well given that this same accident has been re-simulated a cupple times already I don't think so.

#286102  by meh

Here are a few photos of 614 today (25 Aug 2006) on 2141 at Deerfield, crummy though they are since it came through during a thunderstorm.

http://members.trainorders.com/meh/f40c/

As far as I could tell, 614 was not operating, or at least was not above an idle. The lead unit (114) was in run-8 throughout the station stop. Usually when two F40s are on a train, the lead unit idles down during station stops according to the throttle position, while the second unit stays in run-8 to provide HEP.

#286227  by CNW5022-A519

Saw both 114 and 614 at Libertyville, comming through going toward Fox Lake heard both engines, rode on 2156 from Lib back toward the city, both units were running got some great earfull of both engines at lib and when I got off. she was nice to see and impressive eventhough she was the trailing unit, I talked with the crew on the the train and they told me that 614 did give them some proublems, yet when the train went out on the bridge to wait for 2143 to clear the Engineer solved the proublem, she was running and sounding smooth. Heard her when I got on the train and when I got off.

#286320  by metra 613

Dam look like i will be up to see that :-D
 #286670  by NIRCMAN

Signed, sealed, delivered 614 on a platter

#286672  by AMTK84

Now that we've got 614 out I (like everyone else) would love to see her in mainline service. We'll see what happens. Only time will tell.

#290736  by F40CFan

It figures they would do that while I was out of town. Thanks to those providing pictures.

I was wondering why 614 was now in front of 611 and further north (west?) in the yard.

#327758  by F40CFan

Does anyone know where 611 & 614 are? They are not in their "normal" place at Western Ave. I haven't seen them for a couple of days.

#330435  by F40CFan

They are back in their customary spot now. I saw them last night from 2227.

#331024  by F40CFan

I spoke with an engineer this morning. Apparently they brought 611 & 614 inside to get out of the snow. They are still kept in running condition in case the MPs start failing again. He said he misses them, they ride nice like a Cadillac. While they started slow, once they got going, they were real fast. His favorite power now is double-headed 100s. They start fast and stop well.

#332126  by TheGortex

So if I went to the Western Avenue station, would I be able to see them?

#332183  by doepack

TheGortex wrote:So if I went to the Western Avenue station, would I be able to see them?
Unless you've got some REALLY high-powered binoculars, they're barely visible from the platform, even on a clear day on a weekend when the yard is empty otherwise. Your best bet for seeing them (without trespassing of course) would be to ride the cab car of any inbound Milw or NCS train, and to get a camcorder shot out of the front cab car window. They're usually stored on the yard track closest to the mains, but, since the trains are usually flying through there, all you might get is just a fleeting glimpse.

But if you want to take your chances, who knows, Metra might run these engines on a final "farewell" tour at some point. Stay tuned...

#339006  by TheGortex

I went to Western today, and got a video shot of them. Nothing new to report. When my camera stops messing up, I'll post it on youtube.