Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by byte

I have a feeling this will escalate to something rather large, which is why I'm making a thread for it rather than putting it in the news thread.

In case you've been under a rock for the past week, Phil Pagano, Metra's executive director since 1990, had been placed under criminal investigation for allegedly siphoning off an extra $56,000 into his salary: http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010 ... nched.html

Metra chief faces criminal probe
May 7, 2010 7:13 AM | 1 Comment | UPDATED STORY

The Cook County state's attorney's office said Thursday it has launched a criminal probe into possible financial irregularities by Metra's longtime executive director. The transit agency's own investigator, meanwhile, is looking into whether top executive Phil Pagano was collecting money by cashing out future vacation time, sources said.

Prosecutors from the public corruption and financial crimes unit began the state's attorney probe this week just as Metra's special counsel conducted a separate investigation into Pagano's actions. The special counsel, James Sotos, is expected to appear at an emergency session Friday morning to present his findings to Metra's directors. Metra officials had promised to turn the matter over to prosecutors if Sotos uncovered evidence of wrongdoing.

Sotos "has information that he thinks is important to bring to the board," Metra spokeswoman Judy Pardonnet said. "Clearly, he's going to be there and make a recommendation."
This morning, he was found dead: http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010 ... train.html

Cops: Metra chief left note before apparently killing self
May 7, 2010 4:20 PM | UPDATED STORY
_train612.jpg

Metra executive director Philip Pagano left a note indicating he was going to commit suicide before he walked in front of a Metra train this morning and was killed, officials say. Pagano -- under investigation for financial irregularities -- parked at a nearby gravel lot shortly before 8 a.m. and walked in front of the train just west of Terra Cotta Road on Hillside Road in Crystal Lake, McHenry County Sheriff Keith Nygren said at an afternoon news conference. Nygren said the engineer spotted Pagano about five to 10 seconds before impact. Pagano was standing in the middle of the tracks, facing the front of train, and the engineer braked but could not stop in time. "The engineer looked right into the eyes of the man," Nygren said. The sheriff said evidence found on his body and at Pagano's home -- including a letter -- appeared to indicate he was going to commit suicide. "He left some written documents behind," Nygren said. "I would describe it as a letter indicating his intentions."

(Edit: just noticed that the above address implies that he was hit by a train?! Seems likely that this is the cause of the "pedestrian incident" affecting the UP-NW)

Details are really too sparse right now to allow for an educated, non-speculative discussion, but all signs point to Metra soon having a management shakeup which will be 9-something on the Richter scale.
  by metraRI

It appears Phil Pagano did indeed take his own life this morning by walking in front of a UP-NW line train in Crystal Lake.

Metra released a statement not too long ago:
It is with great sadness that we report the passing this morning of Philip A. Pagano. Phil served this agency with distinction for many years. Today, we shall remember the good work he achieved with our board of directors and the men and women of Metra. He was dedicated to our passengers as he always considered the women and women of Metra his family and there is a tremendous sense of loss within the agency.

We shall remember him as a dedicated husband, father and grandfather who loved his family more than anyone. Our deepest sympathies as well as our thoughts and prayers are with him, his family and all those who loved him.
Regardless of personal opinions of Pagano, quite a sad and tragic day for the Metra family.
  by JohnD1

There might be some snarky comments appearing from some insensitive people. Before they do, I want to say that suicide is NOT a funny topic. And, if indeed he did it by stepping in front of a train, well, my sympathies go out to the train personnel also. Finally, there is also the family and friends.
  by John_Perkowski

Metra director Pagano throws himself in front of train, sources say
Metra director Pagano left note before standing in front of train
May 7, 2010
BY MICHAEL SNEED, MARY WISNIEWSKI, DAN ROZEK AND FRANK MAIN Staff Reporters

Embattled Metra Executive Director Phil Pagano, under investigation by his own agency for financial issues, stood in front of a Metra train and was killed this morning in an apparent suicide attempt, officials said. McHenry County Sheriff Keith Nygren said Pagano left a letter "indicating his intentions" before going onto the tracks near Crystal Lake just after 8 a.m. "This was an intentional act on his part," Nygren said. The conductor of the inbound train, a Union Pacific employee, made eye contact with Pagano, but did not recognize him as the executive director of Metra, Nygren said.
This is never a good thing. Condolences to Mr Pagano's family and friends.
  by CHTT1

This is a shocking development. The probe into Pagano's "bonus" was escalating rapidly. I guess he didn't want to face what was coming. I'm really surprised he walked in front of a Metra train. Surely he knew the effect of such an action on the engineer and other crew members. I always had a lot of respect for Pagano, but this is just totally tragic. My sympathy to his family, the crew of the train, and those at Metra who worked with him.
  by byte

CHTT1 wrote:I'm really surprised he walked in front of a Metra train.
No one will ever know why. The only thing that can be discerned from suicides is that desperate people do desperate things. Regardless of who he was, what he did for a living, or what he might have done wrong - he was clearly under a great deal of stress.
  by JLJ061

Doesn't really surprise me too much that he chose to end it all at the hands of a Metra train; Considering his executive position, he possibly wanted everyone to remember him through this sense of irony.

Also considering what he was going through, I can see why he felt he couldn't go on. At one point I almost took myself out the same way because of I was going through at the time; Looking back now it still give me the willies about how close I came to the end. :(
  by orangeline

"... but a source told the Tribune that Pagano's wallet was found on his body, along with a copy of Metra's procedures on how to handle a service disruption after a suicide."

I don't know what to make of this. Was he trying to be considerate to the crew or was this a last sick joke? It's a shame people put themselves into the position where they feel killing themselves is the only way out.
  by doepack

I met the late Mr. Pagano two years ago at a community meeting in Naperville that discussed the STAR line proposal. At the end of the meeting, I introduced myself, and after telling him I lived in Wheaton, he cracked a joke about how UP puts freights in the way of Metra trains all the time, and something along the lines of perhaps bribing them with more money so that they can let Metra through more often; don't recall his exact words. It was a brief, funny exchange, and we both laughed it off, and that was that.

But as for today's events: Damn. I mean, just... damn :(

orangeline wrote:"... but a source told the Tribune that Pagano's wallet was found on his body, along with a copy of Metra's procedures on how to handle a service disruption after a suicide."

I don't know what to make of this. Was he trying to be considerate to the crew or was this a last sick joke?
That caught my eye too. God only knows...
  by ST214

Wow....I don't even know what to say......Sad....very sad. Reading of his work with engineers who had gone thru what he put the engineer of that train thru and trying to help them, and choosing that way to go.....speechless.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Possibly others as well have noted photos of Mr. Pagano appearing in media outlets showing him wearing a lapel pin that appears to be one of such from Operation Lifesaver.

How ironic.
  by Illinifan

What a tragic ending. My thoughts and prayers go out to the train crew and Pagano's family and friends.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Might anyone know of Mr. Pagano's background - industry, professions, politics?

I was once told by a Chicago cop (a client's Son): "if you gotta 'off' yourself, at least use pills - less mess to clean up".
  by keithsy

My prayers are for the repose of Phil's soul and for the comfort of his family. I'll bet you that he was one of the nicest. We had a boss at NYCTA in 1977 jump from the 13th floor of HQ on a Sat. Similar circumstances: money, $50-60, only. Plus, he was a very sick man. I will not judge.