Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by railroadziggy

Hello! I'm planning a railfan trip to Aurora soon and will be staying in the Comfort Suites near the Aurora Metra station, which supposedly has a good view of the BNSF main line and the Metra station.

I thought I'd wander down to the High Street bridge to watch the morning deadhead moves leaving Hill Yard: 1206, 1216, 1218, etc. Does anyone know when exactly these trains leave, or, better yet, is there an employee timetable available that would list the departure times?

Thanks much.
Jim Ziegler
  by Tadman

Sorry I can't be of more help, I don't know much. If you have a rental car, you may want to check out Eola yard, a few miles east, too. Also, don't miss the "Railfan tips" sticky at the top of the Chicago forum - myself and a few other locals have contributed tips for checking out the Chicago railroad scene.
  by railroadziggy

Thanks for answering. This is going to be a car-free trip, but I will ride the entire length of the line, so I'll catch a glimpse of Eola. I like to set up in one place and do a marathon trainwatching session. Aurora is the only place I could find on the Racetrack with a decent hotel with a view of the tracks.
  by Tadman

If you get downtown, you'll be ten minute walk from the last interurban - take a look or take a ride. It's my favorite railroad, and it's a true study in contrasts. Heavy public passenger trains, street running, high voltage DC, private freight trains from 5-car locals to 100+car unit coal trains with modern SD/GEVO power, double track CTC, 1920's ABS/trainorder... Quite a show over 91 miles.
  by metraRI

Here are the 6 deadhead moves that depart Hill Yard during the am rush, along with departure times. Keep in mind deadhead moves can be earlier or later than 'scheduled'.
1206: 5:23a
1214: 6:11a
1216: 6:00a
1218: 6:04a
1224: 6:32a
1226: 6:26a
  by railroadziggy

Thanks! This gives me some guidelines, at least. This is just what I was looking for.
Jim
metraRI wrote:Here are the 6 deadhead moves that depart Hill Yard during the am rush, along with departure times. Keep in mind deadhead moves can be earlier or later than 'scheduled'.
  by railroadziggy

Oh, I've ridden the South Shore from South Bend to Randolph Street many times. In fact, I remember rattling along in those old cars with the "Little Train That Could" motto on them. Gotta love the street running in Michigan City, but what a shame that they don't use the depot building downtown any more. The South Shore definitely has character!
Tadman wrote:If you get downtown, you'll be ten minute walk from the last interurban - take a look or take a ride.