• MBTA Subway/Commuter Rail Models

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by BayColony1706

I had found 2 at a show that someone had hand painted up in the MTA scheme. I am not sure who put out the model, but they are die-cast and heavy!
  by diburning

I would DEFINITELY buy type 7s or 8s in HO scale. I have a Boeing LRV in MBTA livery in HO scale (made by Mehano for IHC). 2 of the trucks pick up power and the third one drives. It runs at a prototypical speed (slow like it should be) although the motor doesn't seem to like the weight of the unit overall.

Anyone know if I can remotor it? I know that Custom Traxx has a new floor with dual motors and a Bowser mechanism, but it's $95. I paid $55 for my Boeing and I don't want to spend that much on a new floor.

The pictures of the models for the subway cars look great! Can't wait to see a casting of the 0700s!

About the PCCs, Bowser makes them undecorated and they are basically a hunk of lead. They need to be painted although the bowser mechanism runs great. They're also fairly inexpensive. If you don't care too much about detail, Bachmann BLUE BOX (not the old white box) PCCs doesn't have an interior, but runs very good and could be repainted for MBTA. They recently came out and I saw one running and was impressed with how smooth and quiet it was (for a bachmann)

If you want to wait, Custom Traxx is also doing painted Bowser PCCs for MUNI. One of the cars on the list is BERy #1059. (currently running on MUNI with a BERy paint scheme) When they come out, it will cost $109.95 according to their web site:

http://www.trolleyville.com/customtraxx ... Other.html
  by jetfan

diburning wrote: The pictures of the models for the subway cars look great! Can't wait to see a casting of the 0700s!
Thanks for the compliments, the models actually underwent a slight revision to be more accurate, new pictures will be posted soon. The 0700's will be out by mid February.

We are now having decals produced by Microscale for these models, they will be available in early to mid February.
Last edited by jetfan on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by StevieC48

I have seen 1 O scale Type 7 scratch built model at one of the trolley Meets in PA a long time ago. Not sure if the person shows it anymore???
  by Veristek

Hi, all.

I remember seeing a thread about people being interested in scale modeling of MBTA rolling stock, such as the subway cars. I found the website (don't have it bookmarked on my computer) called Boston Island or something like that. I contacted the owner and I asked him about modeling MBTA commuter rail in N scale, specifically our Kawaski bi-level cars. He informed me that it's going to be his next project.

If any of you out there are fans of modeling the MBTA in N scale, you should contact him and offer your support. We may get to model the full range of MBTA commuter rail stuff after all!

By the way, if anyone thinks this post should belong elsewhere, please let me know and merge it elsewhere accordingly. Thanks!
  by Veristek

acela 2036 wrote:Here is the website
http://islandmodelworks.com/
Thats the one. I've been talking with the model builder, Joe, and he has told me that we need to place orders for at least 12 - 14 cars for the K cars. I'm curious, are any of you out there interested in this? I have two Kato F40PH's in MBTA scheme in N scale so these K cars would go nicely with them. I've also talked to Joe about single levels in MBTA scheme, Comet II's. He may produce them in MBTA schemes as well.

So please post if you guys are interested, and give Joe an e-mail too at [email protected]

Its about time we got some scale modeling for MBTA!
  by diburning

He has a K-car that he had made in HO scale. He is hoping to produce them and sell them in the future (however, they won't be cheap)

He has also done custom paint jobs (F40PHs in screamer paint and in the lightning stripe scheme although it's not prototypical)

He had some for sale at the Springfield show. I wanted to buy the Kato F40PH in the screamer scheme, but he was charging $250 each for them. For me, forthat price, it would need to be perfect. It looked ok, but I guess my standards were a bit high. (I'm in the middle of doing 902/904 right now. I have the model, just not painted yet. Sometime down the line I'll do a F40PH and 3247, but my BQ23-7 project comes first :-D )
  by Veristek

I got my MBTA painted Kato F40PH's from "The Freight Yard", based at 2734 West Bell Road, Suite 1306, Phoenix, Arizona. Their phone number is 602-942-1862 and their website is www.thefreightyeard.com

I got my F40PH's for just 180 - 190 bucks and their locomotives were pretty spot on. They even did the front curved paint right. They do amazing N Scale custom jobs, although they don't have K cars or anything like that. Joe at Islandworks told me that he'd be happy to do N scale of the Comet's and the K cars. I think he'd be happy to do it in HO scale for you MBTA HO scale guys.
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

I received my Blue line 600's yesterday. They are great, I am just waiting on the decals that are coming out this month.

I liked them so much that i ordered 6 of the 700's
  by sery2831

I am going to keep this thread going. But we do have one that was started already... I will lock that one and keep this one...

Locked thread for reference: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 5&p=613496
  by Veristek

Thanks John.

I was wondering of any of you guys here in the MBTA community and commuters who do scale modeling of any MBTA stuff in general? Subways, commuter rail, light rail, etc.? So far I know me, Diburning and Adam_UMass are into MBTA modeling. I recall 3rdRail / Paul might be into MBTA modeling too?
  by ST214

Add me....HO scale

I *ALMOST* bought the 1012 at the Springfield show, even though it was in the lightning scheme. If there had been a 1012 in the straight scheme, i would have left with it.
  by Veristek

The Freight Yard vendor I met at the Springfield show had straight Screamer paint scheme on a couple of F40PH's in N scale. I'm sure you can ask them to do HO scale ones.